Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I Convert Now or Wait until April 2014?  (Read 45179 times)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Should I Convert Now or Wait until April 2014?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I guess my ego is as huge as any other professional in in-home computer technology. I don't get easily offended but I think I "easily offend". Oops!

I come from several forums and recently sent this forum to some of my clients because the tips, suggestions and definitions of basic to advanced computer lingo and skills is easy for the average computer to find on this site.

Getting into the forum was based on one intent.  I don't like W8 and am part of a IT boycott group that comes down on M$ for releasing this new system that destroyed the continuity and familiarity of W8 to people over 40 years old. To me it's a crime, to others it's "something they must get use to" .  Whether our boycott or anyone else's boycotts makes a different in the coming W9 OS remains to be seen.

Younger people (some) embrace the new look of W8, probably because it's different from W95 to W7. Something other than what their elders have used.  Is W8 a cool OS?  Not IMHO.

So BW has banged away at the keyboard to point out all his contrary thinking and I have stated in my original posts (IMHO) several times.  Making a tough statement with IMHO should be clear to all that it's just an opinion.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I will stay away from directly communicating with BW.  We are two RAMS (no, not memory  ;D) butting heads on every turn.

I'll have fun here and I'll extend my knowledge to anyone with XP, Vista and 7 whenever I feel I can be helpful.

ciao  ;)

Have you actually tried Windows 8 as your main OS for any length of time?

I used Windows 8 and absolutely hated it - I actually went as far as smashing my Windows 8 Beta DVD in anger after Frisbee-ing it at a wall and that was after writing "Don't even bother" on it after trying the first time.  I hated the OS and everything about it!  But... Eventually I sat down and forced myself to use it by completely removing my Windows 7 install.  At the time I tweeted "Once again I find myself trying yet another release of Windows 8 - Hopefully I can keep this one for more than 24 hours".  At first I really struggled, I do agree that the jump was huge.  But after using it for a while I realised that I actually liked the new features.  For example... At first I saw the start screen as a bad idea designed for touch screens, but then I realised that it actually made sense to use the full screen, when you open the start menu, you are fixating on it, not multitasking alongside it so why only use a small part of the screen?

Boycotting an OS?  That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard - Most people I've seen with Windows 8 didn't like it at first, they either got used to it and now like it (majority of people), installed modifications to bring back features like the start menu or downgraded to 7.  This is the first time I've heard of someone actively trying to protest over changes to some computer software!

I have a lot of strong opinions about computer software, I like certain stuff and dislike others, but I don't spend my time protesting about it - If you asked even people that know me really well, they probably wouldn't know what software I hate (Except for ones where I have yelled "Bloody <software name>" out loud) - But I get on with it.  If someone had a machine that was running a piece of software I personally don't like, I wouldn't even say anything (unless the software was dangerous e.g. a registry booster).

My best advise with XP is to not upgrade the system to either W7 or W8.  The guts of the machine are just going to be lack-luster for newer technology.
While this can be the case with a lot of XP machines, much of the time the machine can be pretty decent, I'm currently sitting with a pair of laptops running XP, both with Core Duo processors - They could run 7 or 8 perfectly, probably faster than they do XP!

Then questioning others backup strategies?  Really?  Did you ever realise that other people have different needs to you?  I also do not image my drive unless I am doing something very high risk.  For me, the most likely reason that I'll need a backup is due to deleting/modifying a file by accident.  In my life I have never experienced a total failure of my internal drive and I have only once lost my OS (Accidental incorrect command on a Linux machine when working late at night and tired... yep... "rm -rf /").  I have however needed to quickly access a file that I have accidentally deleted, this would be a real pain to recover from an image!  And considering I can have a working Windows install done in an hour, not having an image isn't a big deal!

You need to realise that first impressions count.  What has happened here is you have joined a forum where nobody knows you and started protesting about an OS that you personally do not like.  Then calling yourself a 'computer maintenance expert'.  While I'm not doubting that you are very knowledgeable, it's not a great idea joining a forum and in your first few posts shouting "Look at me, I'm an expert"  Then when other members question your opinions, you bash them.  For example: "You are a developer, not a computer maintenance expert." - BC_Programmer is one of the most respected and well known users on this forum.  While technically yes, he is a developer mostly (as am I) - It's not like developers don't use software or don't have opinions about it!

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
I have a lot of strong opinions about computer software, I like certain stuff and dislike others, but I don't spend my time protesting about it ..
Ding, Ding, Ding - and we have a winner!!!!! ;D

You and I probably went to the same school. If you like something, use it - even recommend it if you so choose. If you don't like something, don't use it - and if others ask, tell them your feelings. But protesting a product because you don't like it - especially an OS? Really?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
I used Windows 8 and absolutely hated it
IRC QUOTE TIME From us both :D I felt the same way before I gave it a fair go too:

Starting around June 2011
Code: [Select]
<&BC_Programming> I'm thinking windows 8 is just plain silly
<&BC_Programming> my latest codeproject newsletter is filled with links on it
<&BC_Programming> http://www.geekwire.com/2011/windows-8-radical-change-windows-huge-gamble-microsoft
<&BC_Programming> I'm pretty sure that silly/stupid/phonelike interface is an option at least
<&BC_Programming> I think I said this before, but *censored* is going on with Windows 8
<&BC_Programming> IE: the OS basically acts like a freaking cell phone OS
<&BC_Programming> from camerongray's video Windows 8 doesn't seem like a good fit for your average desktop or laptop
<&BC_Programming> seems oriented towards touch devices

<&BC_Programming> would probably be great on a tablet, but they lobotomized everything that made it a good OS for desktops/laptops
<&BC_Programming> then again, it was a developer preview
<+camerongray> In honestly think that if Microsoft release Windows 8 and it is anyhting like the Developer prevew - I'm going penguin
<&BC_programming> actually I might try it
<&BC_programming> just to see if you can copy the win7 explorer.exe over windows 8's and get back the old start menu

Then, after we tried it...

Code: [Select]
<&BC_Programming> hmm layers of indirection to my desktop- Router->laptop->router->desktop
<&BC_Programming> hmm Windows 8 first impressions
<&BC_Programming> not bad at all
<&BC_Programming> Different? Yes. Bad? No
<&BC_Programming> considering putting it on my laptop instead of win7 actually, at least to get a start on WinRT
<&BC_Programming> I rather like Win8, and I'm not just saying that to be an opposing force to Camerongray, lol
<+camerongray> I decided to give Windows 8 RTM a try
<&BC_Programming> I like it myself
<&BC_Programming> can't decide if I want to bother installing it on hardware though
<+camerongray> Ahh, I do quite like it
<+camerongray> BC_Programming, How have you been getting on with Windows 8?
<&BC_Programming> It's only in a VM, haven't used it since
<+camerongray> Ahh
<+camerongray> I quite like it actually
<&BC_Programming> I thought you hated it :/
<+camerongray> I did
<+camerongray> But the RTM feels a lot better
<&BC_Programming> ahh
<&BC_Programming> ok

have a lot of strong opinions about computer software, I like certain stuff and dislike others
Yes You love Adobe SiteCatalyst :P

Then calling yourself a 'computer maintenance expert'
Actually to be fair he didn't really. He said that I was a Developer, not a computer maintenance expert, But never really said anything about himself. Except for an analogy involving onions, not sure if that counts.

But protesting a product because you don't like it - especially an OS? Really?
I've been protesting having a Monkey as a pet all my life. Not once have I succumbed to the urge to get a pet monkey. And I'm a better person for it. My house is also cleaner.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
I've been protesting having a Monkey as a pet all my life. Not once have I succumbed to the urge to get a pet monkey. And I'm a better person for it. My house is also cleaner.
Ummm - okay.

SuperTweaker

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
Visit [removed] Nuff said.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:30:05 AM by Calum »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
What is this? MS has a pet monkey?   :o
New Report Says Microsoft Won't Buy Nook Media
May 14, 2013
The Web site Insider Monkey posted a story Monday, quoting a “highly placed source inside Microsoft” saying that the company has no plans to buy Barnes & Noble’s Nook Media group. Last week, citing documents it said it had seen,...
Sounds like Monkey biz to me...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
Visit [removed] Nuff said.

Uh... no, you'll have to flesh out a bit how that's relevant in any way.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:30:15 AM by Calum »

presspt

• physical therapy software
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
I believe Windows 8 is still in the continuous process of innovating and not final yet. If the upgrade to the new version will be free when you already installed Windows 8 then I guess it is okay to start now.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »
I believe Windows 8 is still in the continuous process of innovating and not final yet. If the upgrade to the new version will be free when you already installed Windows 8 then I guess it is okay to start now.
Yes, references indicate Windows 8.1 will be a free update to Windows 8.  Here's one reference: http://gizmodo.com/windows-blue-is-officially-called-windows-8-1-505582364

simplyTechy100

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »
    People who are saying it is April 1st 2014, it isn't. It is April 8th 2014.And if your server runs on Server 2003, they have until 2015. XP Embedded is 2016. :D 8)

trilok

Starter

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »
      It depends how you use your computer..Are you a heavy user or minimal? And anyways its always good to see some new interface so that it regenerates your intrest to work on your computer....I am using windows 8.. a cpl of minor bugs rest all going fine.... I love the apps and the interface...

Romeguides

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 03:47:38 AM »
        I've tried WINDOWS 8, and now I have it on my pC since the last semptember.
        In my opinion, not the best one! Just confused, full of uselss informations and icons, not easy to customize. Just very quick to start, nothing else, in my opinion.
        I'll suggest you to try it on a notebook, just to verify if you like it. I'll downgrade as soon as possible...

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        « Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »
        I've tried WINDOWS 8, and now I have it on my pC since the last semptember.
        In my opinion, not the best one! Just confused, full of uselss informations and icons, not easy to customize. Just very quick to start, nothing else, in my opinion.
        I'll suggest you to try it on a notebook, just to verify if you like it. I'll downgrade as soon as possible...
        So, you've had it since last September but you want to downgrade as soon as possible.  Hmm...  Why don't you remove the "uselss informations and icons"?  What is "not easy to customize"?

carlito

Starter

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »
          Why is everybody so quick to get on the win 8 bandwagon? Win 7 is pretty solid and 8 is still in beta.  At least wait till they come with win 8 sp3 before you jump. It usually takes Microsoft 2 yrs to get the kinks out of any of the new products.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
          Why is everybody so quick to get on the win 8 bandwagon?
          Because it is a incremental improvement over the previous generation of software. At the very least one ought to at least try it before complaining about how everybody is "jumping on the windows 8 bandwagon". Isn't it possible to say the opposite? There are a lot of people, Like in this Thread, SuperTweaker, who make up an assortment of reasons, and argue against Windows 8 with such passion you'd think Steve Ballmer went to their house and forcibly installed Windows 8 on all their machines. Why are those people so quick to jump on the Anti-Windows 8 bandwagon?

Win 7 is pretty solid and 8 is still in beta.
          Windows 2000 is pretty solid too. Few people use it. Windows 8 has been RTM for almost a year now.

At least wait till they come with win 8 sp3 before you jump.
          Did you wait until Windows 7 SP1 to use it? Most people didn't. Why the cognitive dissonance?

It usually takes Microsoft 2 yrs to get the kinks out of any of the new products.
          No. It just takes 2 years for people to stop complaining about trivial changes.