Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Whats these ipv6 addresses  (Read 2818 times)

white31

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Whats these ipv6 addresses
    « on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:48 AM »
        Hi, I would be much grateful if you just simply explain this. So, in my firewall network box there are three ip addresses, one of which is my personal ipv4 address and other two are ipv6, they are-FF00:: net mask 8 and FE80:: net mask 64. I dont know much about internet ant just would like to know if this is normal and why I have those ipv6 addresses while my ISP uses ipv4 and i have disabled ipv6 checkbox in network configuration. I have just one home PC, no router or modem, cable internet connection, windows 7.
        Some note: sometimes my firewall box pops-out with the message "new networks detcted" and there are these three addresess shown. I think its because my ipv4 address changes time to time, but not sure.
        I have attached screenshot of my firewall box. Thanks in advance.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Whats these ipv6 addresses
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:28:28 AM »
    ff00 is the prefix for the IPv6 multicast address, and fe80 is the prefix for the IPv6 link-local addresses.
    In other words, they're not actual IPs, they are ranges of IPs, but not "real" IPs - they don't resolve to an actual computer or device, it's just a predefined range set aside for some IPv6 functions.  Nothing to worry about!

white31

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:36:31 AM »
      All right then, thanks for your answer. Should I wait for other responses or press resolve button?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »
      Unless there's anything else you're unsure about, you can go ahead and mark the topic resolved if you like :)