Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IP Changing After Setting Up a VoIP Server  (Read 2905 times)

AmbiguousNinja

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    IP Changing After Setting Up a VoIP Server
    « on: July 05, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
    For about two weeks my IP kept changing (which I made a post about) but that stopped on July 1st. My latency was also unusually high but that also went down a few days ago back to my normal ping. However this morning I once again setup my teamspeak server (a VoIP client) on my dynamic IP and a few hours later my IP changed and my latency increased again.
    My ISP is Bell Canada and I had my server up on and off (i turn it off every day) since about August 2012 and never had my IP changing without manually restarting the router.

Do ISPs change IP addresses to discourage servers hosted on dynamic IPs or is there another reason for my issues? I feel like its too coincidental and in the meantime I'll probably disable my server and avoid setting it back up. As for the latency issues, a few friends on my ISP also experienced increases but theirs also went back down around the time mine did so perhaps its not tied to the IP changing issue.

Thanks for any replies, this is getting a little annoying :P

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: IP Changing After Setting Up a VoIP Server
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
    Pretty much all ISPs allocate dynamic IPs, which may change when you reboot the modem or may change at intervals, or pretty much whenever they feel like it.  Part of that may be to discourage running home servers - most ISPs do also have a section in their terms & conditions prohibiting this.
    As an alternative, consider a free dynamic DNS service such as DynDNS or no-ip - they let you have a domain name which "tracks" your IP, so if your IP changes, the domain name will still get you there.  That means you could have, say, myteamspeak.dyndns.com and everyone would just point their TS client to that instead of 111.111.111.111.  The free services will have restricted features, I think the one I sued back when I ran a home server only gave you the domain for 6 weeks at a time or something, but it's hardly a hassle to update it every few weeks or months.
    Hope this helps.