Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to set up used Linksys WRT160N  (Read 3106 times)

tattooedrider

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    How to set up used Linksys WRT160N
    « on: July 06, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
    I was given a used router (Linksys WRT160N) and am having difficulty setting it up. I plugged it into my internet modem (DISH box) and my computer detects the old network name the previous owners set it up with. Is there some way to reset it?
    I am computer competent in basic stuff, but not sure what to do here.
    Also, I don't have the CD for it, is there a way to manually set it up?
    I am operating MAC OS X 10.7.5

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to set up used Linksys WRT160N
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
    You'll need to get into the router's configuration page.  When you're connected to the router (use an Ethernet cable for this) go to start - run - type cmd - hit enter.  Type ipconfig and hit enter.  You'll see the gateway address there, type that into your web browser to access the configuration page.  From there, you can log in and make the necessary changes.  No CD is required, these are usually just some software that isn't that useful and maybe some scripted configuration, nothing earth shatteringly handy.

Ah...just seen you're on a Mac.  I'm unsure of the procedure to get the gateway address from that, without just Googling it.  The rest still applies though.  Hope this helps!

P.S. see their support page here for info on the configuration page, to see exactly what you'll need to change.  I would recommend just setting it back to factory defaults and then setting it up yourself to your liking, avoids the risk of missing a setting or two.

tattooedrider

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: How to set up used Linksys WRT160N
      « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:10:57 AM »
      thank you for the reply. I have gotten as far as to the setup page from searching online but can't seem to figure out what to do from there to get it to actually connect to the internet. I reset the router to factory default but it still doesn't want to work...