Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking with a noob  (Read 2397 times)

ShaneTFletcher

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • If In Doubt, Check It Out
  • Experience: Experienced
Networking with a noob
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:30:30 AM »
So ok, I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to networking. I know my IP's, remote access etc but I would like to know more about networking as its quite interesting. So right, I just started working at a small electronics business which have no IT support. Here is there set up regarding the computer software's etc -

This business has 2 branches, 1 with main server and use, without any server. They use a software, modified for the business to deal with there items, cash sales etc. This software is placed on a server machine which is basically a desktop PC. At my branch located, where there is no server, we have to use remote desktop to access the software. Not all great as the remote connection is slow and annoying.
Whilst at the other branch, where the server is located. The users there are on the same network, meaning they don't need any remote connection etc.

My question is - If the business opens more branches, there is a way to network the computers better than just using remote connection? I really believe that the server is not up to speed to handle any more computers!

Please bare with me on this networking business, like I said above, I'm really not high on networking so help would be great.

Update - Both branches are LAN connected, need to hook a WAN connection to both branches. Not sure how :(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:00:27 AM by ShaneTFletcher »
If In Doubt, Check It Out

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Networking with a noob
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:29:45 AM »
Sounds like you need some application design here that takes into account latency.

I would start by setting up some VPNs between local and remote locations and seeing how the app performs across that link.  Most decent SOHO routers have VPN capabilities.  Personally I've had a lot of success with DrayTek routers, but different people have different views.

Note:  If your application is based on Microsoft Access, don't attempt this.  Access struggles massively across slow links.

Down the application design route - is there an option to create a web-based interface?  Or is there a client application that connect back to the server using a proprietary protocol?  Was this application written in-house?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos