Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AOL "BLERK!" notice & mysterious tabs  (Read 12476 times)

02bin3

AOL "BLERK!" notice & mysterious tabs
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
I was away for a few days and when I came home I signed on to my computer and instead of it opening to my sign in page for AOL I got a BLERK! window from AOL telling me that my sign-in got derailed.  In addition there were numerous tabs that said, "Problem Loading Page" and each tab had a different web address.  I closed all the tabs and then went to AOL and signed on as usual.  No problem.  However, the next day when I signed on I got the same BLERK! page and all those tabs.  I've tried clearing Cookies and Firefox is set to clear History, nothing seems to work.  Does anyone know what is going on here and how to cure it?  Thank you,

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: AOL "BLERK!" notice & mysterious tabs
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »
How do you connect to the internet?

My thoughts are that the browser is fetching pages when the internet connection may not have been established yet. I dont use AOL, and havent since around 2001 with dial-up, but I have broadband and have a Toshiba netbook with an Atom processor and have had times where I am faster than the computer to establish a connection to the internet and I get error messages in firefox because the internet connection had not been established yet over wifi to the router. If I wait for all services to complete (a few minutes) and wifi handshake to be established it works flawlessly.

What are you running for a computer?

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
I have a Lenovo IdeaCentreK410 Desktop (10 months old), 64 bit, 1Terabyte HD, dual monitors

I recently switched from Yahoo email to AOL and I've had Firefox for years and keep it updated along with all of the available updates from Microsoft for Windows 7 Prof.  I have Hughesnet for an internet provider, however, they leave a lot to be desired in the speed & satisfaction departments.  (Not a company I would recommend.)

I don't know whether this problem lies with AOL or with Firefox.  I used CCleaner to clean out the history and cookies and that didn't help.  Do you think that uninstalling Firefox and re-installing might help?  Thank you

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
Hughes Net is definately not a good internet connection. I have had clients who where out in the woods with only Dial-up or Satellite make the investment to go with Satellite without consulting with me first, and then find it to be worse than their dial-up connection was prior with lack of stability. They got sold into the investment by the term "high-speed" which if it was working better, it would be faster than 56k dial-up, but they had nothing but problems.

If you can bring this laptop somewhere where there is free wifi or a friends house etc to connect to their broadband or dsl connection, I would test to see if the problem goes away. I believe your problem is with Hughes Net.

Firefox is a very good browser and the blerk is a lack of service to the ISP I believe, where the internet is down or degraded and a timeout occurs with blerk. I am almost certain that if you had a good reliable internet connection the problem would be gone.