Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My browsers won't open?  (Read 5557 times)

uhmmm

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    My browsers won't open?
    « on: July 23, 2013, 05:30:29 AM »
    My browsers were working just fine yesterday. That is, until I downloaded another image viewing program.
    Then some things started to change.

After I had downloaded that program, Firefox had started lagging and freezing a lot longer than it usually does. When it froze up for the twentieth time, I closed it. I didn't think much of it since I always open up more that 15 tabs in one window.

One hour later, though, the same thing happened. Firefox would lag and freeze even though I only had one tab open. And after a while, it wouldn't open at all -- and the same thing happened with I.E., too. :(

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: My browsers won't open?
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:33:29 AM »
    What did you download and from where did you download it? And did you just download it or did you install it?

uhmmm

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 05:35:16 AM »
      Irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com/. I installed it.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:56:14 AM »
      IrfanView is a well know photo editing program, so I doubt it's the real cause of the problem.  But, since you say your problem started after installing it, why not uninstall it?  I suggest you also restore Windows to a Restore Point dated before you installed IrfanView.

uhmmm

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
        Thanks. System restore seems to have fixed the problem.
        The thing is, though, is that I need the program for a project I'm working on. I want to know if there's anyway to run/install that program without it messing with my browsers?

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
        Many other image editing programs are available but, if you really need IrfanView for your project, you might post your question https://irfanview-forum.de/forum.php.

Of course, you could install IrfanView again and see whether the problem arises again.  If you do so, I suggest you disable your anti-virus program while installing it. 

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »
        Ifrfanview is an old and well regarded product - it really shouldn't cause any problems However, I've just replaced it on a number of systems with Faststone Image Viewer, which I think is outstanding: http://faststone-image-viewer.soft32.com/free-download/?lp=adwords&kw=Faststone+image+viewer&mt=e&ad=25477446918&pl=&ds=s&gclid=CMb6oI3-yLgCFYOe4Aod0jsAGQ

SkinnyKing

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
          It sounds to me like IrfanViewer is conflicting with something that the browsers normally carry out such as an association with a filetype.

There's lot of ways you could deal with this but my advice is to uninstall IrfanViewer and use the portable app version instead.  Portable apps don't install in the same way that standard software does, they run in their own space so there shouldn't be any conflicts.
          http://www.tekmoz.com/tekmoz_downloads/#portable-apps

If it continues to cause problems then consider using Google picasa or something else or try re-installing your browser of choice and it should become the default program that associates itself with whatever filetype is causing the issue.