Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I get past the home internet filter?  (Read 3474 times)

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    How can I get past the home internet filter?
    « on: July 18, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
    I'm living at my father's house and he has a content filter set up on our home network (it's called opendns) through a router.  He is very religious so I can't really ask him to take it off. I have a computer savvy friend who said there is a way to make my computer bypass the filter.  I don't know how though.  He said in order to do it he would have to be in range of the home network, but he's always too busy to come by my place to work on it.  He did say it's fairly easy though, so could someone walk me through how to do this?

It is a WPK2 secured network, and the router in netgear.  I know the password to connect to the network (obviously), but I don't know how to edit any router settings from my computer or anything like that.

SuperTweaker

Re: How can I get past the home internet filter?
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:38:30 PM »
    It is your father's settings and his connection to the Internet.  I think you should respect his property and his choices in this particular circumstance.

No one here wants to help you defeat your father, it's just not an ethical thing to do in a respectable forum.  Just saying...

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »
      It is your father's settings and his connection to the Internet.  I think you should respect his property and his choices in this particular circumstance.

No one here wants to help you defeat your father, it's just not an ethical thing to do in a respectable forum.  Just saying...

Except I am 23.  I would live by myself but I am getting over a medical issue

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »
      I'd ask him to unfilter what sites you are requesting unblocked and if he unblocks them then your all set. Either this or pay for your own internet if an open wifi is not available to hop onto. *I wouldn't have your friends alter the router to do away with the OpenDNS settings your dad set up.

I grew up with over religious parents and they freaked out big time when I was listening to heavy metal in the 1980s. Lots of tapes and albums got destroyed to the point that I got sneaky and swapped the magnetic tape spools from cassettes into the cheap k-mart 60 minute blank cassette's to have Megadeth, Metallica, and Guns n Roses and other tapes not get tossed out when easily identified during bedroom snoops.

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »
        I'd ask him to unfilter what sites you are requesting unblocked and if he unblocks them then your all set. Either this or pay for your own internet if an open wifi is not available to hop onto. *I wouldn't have your friends alter the router to do away with the OpenDNS settings your dad set up.

I grew up with over religious parents and they freaked out big time when I was listening to heavy metal in the 1980s. Lots of tapes and albums got destroyed to the point that I got sneaky and swapped the magnetic tape spools from cassettes into the cheap k-mart 60 minute blank cassette's to have Megadeth, Metallica, and Guns n Roses and other tapes not get tossed out when easily identified during bedroom snoops.

I think my age and predicament makes this a little different. 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:18:38 AM »
        I sympathise with your predicament, but unfortunately it's against the forum rules to help anyone bypass filters or restrictions, and therefore I will be locking this topic.