Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DHCP Servers  (Read 11876 times)

kimagi

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    DHCP Servers
    « on: July 19, 2013, 08:50:28 PM »
    Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can clear up my confusion for the following situation.
    In a networking practical exam, 5 students had to setup their own server-client network (server 2003 and windows xp)
    the teacher allocated each student 1 server computer and 2 client computers, and the server's ip address assigned
    for each student is shown below:

student 1: 192.168.1.1
    student 2: 192.168.2.1
    student 3: 192.168.3.1
    student 4: 192.168.4.1
    student 5: 192.168.5.1

I know there are two ways to connect the client computers to the server computer:
    1. assign static ip address on the client computers or
    2. add DHCP server

And by assigning an ip address on the client computers can guarantee both the server and clients are on the same network.
    My question is how can a DHCP server give out ip address to the client computer that was allocated to me? The server can release ip address to any other student's client computers which did not have static ip assigned.

Assumptions:
    1. None of the client computers for all students had static ip assigned.
    2. All computers are connected to the same switch.

I would appreciate if anyone can clear this confusion up,
    thank you!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: DHCP Servers
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:38:21 PM »
    Read the documentation for the DHCP device.
    It will have, or should have, a limited range  of address that it can align.
    Also, the client mt computers must each have a unique name and each network must have a unique network name.
    Example:
    Range of
     to 
    will assign a maximum  of five computers. No more. But only inside that range.

kimagi

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: DHCP Servers
      « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:35:16 AM »
      Hi,

Thank you for your prompt rely,
      I have figured out that if there are more 1 servers are connected to the same switch, it is not possible for the server assigns ip address to a specific client computer, the servers actually lease out ip addresses to random client computers in this case. Another question is would it works if I assign static DNS on the client computers, will they only communicate with servers that have the same DNS??