Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: General help  (Read 2286 times)

techorders

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    General help
    « on: August 02, 2013, 02:30:42 AM »
    Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
    I had a 5 year old Toshiba laptop running on windows vista basic and it crashed, I tried everything but couldn't get it working so I contacted Toshiba and they said Id have to get a recovery disc sent out from them at a cost of $30 to get my computer working again, instead I took out the Toshiba sata HDD and re-cycled the old laptop. I then went a bought a netbook running on windows 7 starter and also bought a usb Caddy, ive put the HDD into the usb caddy and plugged it into my netbook, it recognized the HDD in the hardwear and devices section of windows when I plugged it in, but when I try to open the files i.e. music, photos I get a message saying I have to format the disc before I can use the usb mass storage, but someone told me if I do that it wipes the HDD of its contents, is this true and if so how can I get the data off of the old Toshiba HDD and onto my new netbook.

P.S. im a novice when it come to computers, so basic talk would really help, thankyou.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: General help
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »
    It's true & likely the hard disk is damaged.  If you have not made backups of your music & photos, they are likely gone forever.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: General help
    « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
    Hi
    Someone else had this problem and was given excellent advice in this post.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,139236.0.html

Worth a read of the instructions Jason gave.

Lisamaree
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan