Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where is the "Shut Down" button for Windows 8  (Read 17370 times)

02bin3

Where is the "Shut Down" button for Windows 8
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
A friend of mine asked me to help her get pictures from her camera to her computer.  No problem.  Wrong.  She has Windows 8 and I haven't the foggiest notion of what goes on with Windows 8.  We tried to connect to the internet through my Hughesnet modem and it wouldn't connect no matter what tricks I tried.  Anyway, when I asked her where the "Shut Down" button was, she had no idea.  To turn this Gateway laptop off she just closes the cover.  I know Windows 8 is more futuristic than Windows 7, however, she and I would both like to know how you normally shut down Windows 8? 

Her husband also threw out the box it came in before she had a chance to get the product key to Microsoft Word.  Is there a way to get the product code from the computer itself?

Thank you,

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Where is the "Shut Down" button for Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »
I'll answer the 2nd question...No.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »
A friend of mine asked me to help her get pictures from her camera to her computer.  No problem.  Wrong.  She has Windows 8 and I haven't the foggiest notion of what goes on with Windows 8.  We tried to connect to the internet through my Hughesnet modem and it wouldn't connect no matter what tricks I tried.  Anyway, when I asked her where the "Shut Down" button was, she had no idea.  To turn this Gateway laptop off she just closes the cover.  I know Windows 8 is more futuristic than Windows 7, however, she and I would both like to know how you normally shut down Windows 8? 

Her husband also threw out the box it came in before she had a chance to get the product key to Microsoft Word.  Is there a way to get the product code from the computer itself?

Thank you,

If you move the mouse over to the top right of the screen, a set of icons should pop in from the side. Choose the settings Item, and from there there is a "Power" option.

You should be able to get the product key of installed programs and applications using a tool like Magical Jellybean.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
To turn this Gateway laptop off she just closes the cover.
That doesn't turn off the computer; it puts it in Sleep mode. 
We tried to connect to the internet through my Hughesnet modem and it wouldn't connect no matter what tricks I tried. 
Did you connect to the modem via an Ethernet cable or were you trying to get a wireless connection?  If wireless, try an Ethernet cable for awhile to allow time to get familiar with using Windows 8 on the Internet.

Do either of you know how to browse the web with Windows 8?

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 03:36:48 AM »
I connected with the same ethernet cable that I use for my own laptop and have had no problem as I no longer have a router.  Her computer kept asking for a user name and password provided by the internet provider and I had never needed one in the years that I've had Hughesnet and I've connected 3-4 computers to Hughesnet with no problem.  Hughesnet does not require a user name and password.  I checked with them after her computer asked for that info.  Where Windows 8 is concerned, I am green as grass so it was a matter of trial and error navigating my way through it.  I did miss the more centralized information that comes up with the START button on Windows 7 Pro.  It seemed I had to go 'round Robin Hood's barn to get the same info.  I can understand why some users aren't too happy with Windows 8.  I usually love things new in the world of computers, but I don't believe Windows 8 will be one of them.  I can see where it might work better on a tablet than on a desktop or laptop.  Thank you all for your answers.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »
I connected with the same ethernet cable that I use for my own laptop and have had no problem as I no longer have a router.  Her computer kept asking for a user name and password provided by the internet provider and I had never needed one in the years that I've had Hughesnet and I've connected 3-4 computers to Hughesnet with no problem.  Hughesnet does not require a user name and password.
Sounds to me like the computer may have been detecting a wireless signal from somewhere and was attempting to connect to it but could not because that wireless signal was secured and required a username and password.  Do you know whether she has ever been on the Internet yet with it? 

I don't know whether you've seen the Desktop view in Windows 8.  It looks like Windows 7 and the lower right corner (on the taskbar) has a Network icon.  If you double click it, you will see any wireless networks being detected.  To troubleshoot the network connection, right click on the Network icon and either select "Troubleshooting problems" or select "Open Network and Sharing Center", from which troubleshooting can also be initiated.

02bin3

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
I would discount the wireless signal as my nearest neighbor is 1/2 a mile away and there's nothing in these hills but trees.  No towers.  Can't even get a cellphone to work here. 

She has been on the internet with both ethernet cable and wifi and other than needing a password for the public wifi, she's had no problems getting on the internet.

I did see that Network icon on the taskbar and clicked on it, tried the troubleshooting and got no where.   I believe the troubleshooting said it was a "651" error or something like that.

I did a little research on "651 Error" and apparently this is not an uncommon problem with Windows 8.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/how-do-i-resolve-error-651-on-a-new-windows-8/3c552580-7fae-4cd7-a73a-5b23530286ef

Thank you

trilok

Starter

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
    you can even try with alt+F4 as a short cut key to select between shutdown/rstart/sleep your computer in windows 8 :)

02bin3

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 04:29:37 AM »
    Thank you for your input.  I will pass the information on to my friend.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 06:49:53 AM »
    you can even try with alt+F4 as a short cut key to select between shutdown/rstart/sleep your computer in windows 8 :)
    I think you should have mentioned this works from the Desktop but not from the Start screen.  And, Alt/F4 is also a keyboard shortcut to close an open program.  So, if a program is open and has focus when Alt/F4 is used, it will close the program, not shutdown Windows.  A subsequent Alt/F4 could then be used to shutdown.

02bin3

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »
    Thank you all for your input.  Sometimes I REALLY, REALLY miss my old 486 with Windows 3.0 ;)  Computers were simpler then. :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »