Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Here is anDelay in windows xp  (Read 4773 times)

rfeifer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Here is anDelay in windows xp
    « on: July 29, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »
    My browsing through windows delays by 2 minutes on whatever I click on. For example: When I click on start, It will take 2 minutes for the user menu to appear. When on click on anything on the user menu, it will take another 2 minutes for the next page to appear. Whatever I do on that window it will also take 2 minutes for the next window to appear. If I click on control panel, It will take 2 minutes for the control panel to appear. Everything has a 2 minute delay. Even shutting down has a  2 minute interval. This has been going on for over a year. Please help!!!!

reddevilggg

Expert

Re: Here is anDelay in windows xp
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »

What browser?

Also, being as you mention the Start button and Control Panel, do you actually mean Windows Explorer ??
    11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:00:16 PM »
    If it happens with everything (START, MENUS, etc), the browser isn't important - the problem goes beyond that ;).

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Have you run full scans with BOTH your anti virus app and with MalwareBytes? If not, please do so now.

3) How does the system perform in safe mode?

rfeifer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
      As of anything new. I changed my isp and downloaded google chrome. However: this problem has been happening since June of 2012. What I've done did not effect the delay. Scans were run and nothing was picked up. Safe mode works just fine.                           

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
      Since safe mode works fine let's try a selective startup.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

rfeifer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:35 AM »
        The culprit was the services. There were 86 services listed. Do I disable all of them?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
        No. Follow the instructions in my post above and add processes / services back one or two at a time until you identify the offending process / service.
        « Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:44:22 PM by Allan »

rfeifer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »
          Allan,

I want to thank you. My problem is completely solved. I disabled the dcom server. Everything after that worked with considerable speed. I have another question. I hope you don't mind. My internet browsing is very slow. I'm running widows xp Home Edition version 2002 sp3. My processor is 1.20ghz with 256mb ram and 40gb hd. You probably can tell that this computer is pretty old but it serves my purpose. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Thanks again

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »
          Browsing speed is dependent upon your is- and network connection. How are you connected to the Internet (broadband, modem)? And is this a new problem or has it always been this way? Also, try a different browser and see if it makes a difference (Firefox, Opera, etc).

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »
          If you disabled the DCom server process i'm suprised you can even connect to the net
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rfeifer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »
            I'm from the old school. I use dial-up. Using this do you think a different browser would make a difference?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »
            If you're using dial up then your connection speed is what it is. If you need a faster internet experience you'll have to switch to broadband. You can try other browsers to see if they make any difference - there are some that may be a touch faster (Opera, Safari, Chrome).

rfeifer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »
              I just switched  to chrome. I'll see what happens. Thanks again.