Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random empty dialog boxes popup on desktop  (Read 4422 times)

stalkingturkey

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Random empty dialog boxes popup on desktop
    « on: August 04, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »
    For the past few weeks, there have been random popups of completely empty dialog boxes, featuring only 2 buttons (OK and Cancel), appearing on my desktop. I had just finished putting together a new custom PC in early July and I'm still in the process of installing old programs and configuring everything just the way I want it. Please see below for an attached image.

As far as I could tell, the popups are completely random. Sometimes one popup would appear and that would be it for the day. Sometimes I would close one and another would follow immediately (It doesn't matter if I hit OK or cancel). A couple of times, I would leave my computer on idle for a few hours, and I would return with literally dozens of those windows cascaded on the desktop.

I don't believe they are associated with any specific programs, as they happen while I'm idling and while using other applications. I've ran virus scans, spyware scans, sfc /scannow, memtest...no luck, but like I said, it's pretty much a brand new machine. I also can't seem to match the popups with any specific warnings or errors in the event viewer, so no luck tracing it that way. I've also tried retracing my installation steps and uninstalling and/or doing a system restore to any programs I think are causing it, but the list is pretty slim.

Specs:
    Windows 7 x64 SP1
    Intel i7 4770K
    Asus Maximus VI Hero
    8GB Corsair Vengeance @1600
    Intel 320 series SSD 160GB
    Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
    Asus DVD/R
    Seasonix X750 Gold PSU
    Asus GTX 760 GPU

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Random empty dialog boxes popup on desktop
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »
    Have you tried safe mode?e 
    Have you tried a new user account?

It is rare, but not impossible for a drive to be infected with something evil.*

Next, remove the Hard drive, put in an old drive, install Windows from the DVD. Now that new install on an old drive should not have any pop ups.

* EDIT: I AM NOT PARANOID. OK, Yes I  am.But I did not make this up. It has already been documented with Seagate drives from Taiwan.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
    Honestly, there is not a direct answer to that pop up box other than opening task manager and identify it from the processes tab the next time it comes out. Anything added from the process tab would be able to right-click the process and open the location.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:00:23 AM »
    What protection apps exactly have you scanned with ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "