Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: US criticises Vietnam internet control law  (Read 11336 times)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
US criticises Vietnam internet control law
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
The US has criticised a new internet decree in Vietnam that would restrict online users from discussing current affairs.

The law, announced last week and due to come into force in September, says social media should only be used for "[exchanging] personal information".

The US embassy in Hanoi said it was "deeply concerned" by the decree.

Vietnam has convicted at least 46 activists, including bloggers, for anti-state activity this year.

The law, known as Decree 72, bans the online publication of material that "opposes" the Vietnamese government or "harms national security".

It also specifies that social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook should only be used "to provide and exchange personal information".

In a statement on Tuesday, the US embassy in Hanoi said it was "deeply concerned by the decree's provisions that appear to limit the types of information individuals can share via personal social media accounts and on websites".

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23584431
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Salmon Trout

Re: US criticises Vietnam internet control law
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »
Maybe the US government should reflect on these facts: it fought (and lost) a war and killed thousands of people to try to shore up a corrupt regime, a dictatorship in fact, in South Vietnam, which routinely executed people without trial for "opposing" them, and US government agencies routinely spy on its own and other countries' citizens. So maybe a bit of silence might be in order.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »
So maybe a bit of silence might be in order.
As a Vietnam Vet, I'd be appreciative if that silence started here and now.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »
Here we have freedom of speech,
- unless somebody doesn't like it.    :-X

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
It was a personal request, not a demand. And I'm also trying to keep this thread from turning into something that violates forum rules (which it's already very close to - of not beyond).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:22:46 PM »
As a Vietnam Vet, I'd be appreciative if that silence started here and now.
I can certainly understand why this would annoy you, but I think he makes a fair point to mention this, even if, IMO, it is a bit weak (I'll get to that). All countries governments make mistakes and to presume that one's own government is infallible is to give them too much power. Of course it's also possible to be "too wary" of them. I guess in some respects the idea that any government in a democratic society is a "them" is the issue, since fundamentally the government of a country should at least be considered as an "us" rather than in an adversarial sense.

On the other hand, I also don't think anything that happened in the past really invalidates the complaint/statement, particularly when we consider that as a representation of the people of the country the government is not really the "same" government, even if we allow for any particular consideration of issues or ideologically-charged conflicts.

I don't think such considerations should be interpreted as insults against the men and women who served in the noted conficts by any means. For example I do not personally agree with Canada's involvement in several military actions but now  that the decision has been made- even if I disagree with it- they ought to do the job to the best of their ability.

I suppose that's the issue when you consider high-level decisions regarding military conflict; those involved can easily take it personally, which is completely understandable. But I don't think such criticisms and considerations are at all directed at the specific people that fought in the conflict, but rather the people that made the decision to send those people into conflict.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
Excerpt from forum rules at http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,58736.0.html

Race, religion and politics

Please do not make any posts related to race, religion, or politics. Computer Hope is meant for Computer help, and support, there are plenty of other forums for these types of posts.

The very nature and content of the original post leaves little room for any responses that don't violate this rule. I really don't want to lock this thread, but any further discussion involving politics will leave me no choice.

Thank you all for your cooperation and understanding.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
Allan, you have made your points well. This forum is about computers and directly related matters. As for the title of this post, it is a news factoid that will have possible impact on computer users in the country mentioned.

For that matter, a number of countries wish to impose strong restrictions on what computer users can discuss, including some advanced topics about theoretical algorithms to ensure privacy of users. Such computer information might be considered dangerous to a government when there is the threat of war.

As to the threat of war, it is still with us after years of efforts to make the world a safer place. Anything that might destabilize a government can be viewed as a danger. Sometimes just telling the truth clan be dangerous.

It  the hope of many that mankind can advance and find a better way to live on the  planet, even with powerful technology that must be used wisely.