Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Zip files/download questions??  (Read 2233 times)

kittykasey

Zip files/download questions??
« on: October 15, 2005, 09:38:51 PM »
 If I download a zip file such as regseeker.zip and I am not sure that I opened it properly = do I delete it and start again?  Or is it uninstall?  And how do I know I got it all deleted?  Or can I just download it again?  Extract or unzip mean the same thing right? and when I unzip it does that mean that it is now running?  I am so confused.

I have tons of questions and dont understand all that I read.   :-[

Next questions coming below.
Kitty

kittykasey

Re: Zip files/download questions??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 09:42:31 PM »
I have Ad-Aware.  I tried to update it from the "Update" link, but it does not look like the update took.  Can I just go to the site and download it again?  Will it add another or will it update the one I already have?  

kittykasey

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 09:45:42 PM »
I already have Sygate = Can I ad Zone Alarm or another Firewall for more protection?  Or will this just add to the memory problem that I had previously on my pc (whole other problem not in this forum.) ???

kittykasey

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »
This might help:
My System

Windows 2000 Pro w/NT Technology
SP4
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
261,616 KB RAM

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 10:54:17 PM »
    kittykasey.........
    If I download a zip file such as regseeker.zip and I am not sure that I opened it properly = do I delete it and start again?  Or is it uninstall?  And how do I know I got it all deleted?  Or can I just download it again?  Extract or unzip mean the same thing right? and when I unzip it does that mean that it is now running?  I am so confused.  

When you D/L a compressed or zipped file .....It's a good idea to D/L it to a separate folder ...( just so you always know where it is )  then once its D/L ...right click on it and select unzip here or extract here .......then it will be unzipped and there will be a install icon ....so double click it and it will install .  If its a program, it will appear in your list of programs .

I have Ad-Aware.  I tried to update it from the "Update" link, but it does not look like the update took.  Can I just go to the site and download it again?  Will it add another or will it update the one I already have?

ok ...if you open Ad-Aware ....then click on check for updates now.......a new window will open and click on connect....you will see the message either new definitions available or no new updates available.
    What is your definitions update ......the latest one I have is SE1 R70 12.10.2005      installed core application  1.06r1 professsional
    You can click on the update as often as you wish and it will only update if it is out of date ...so there's no worries there .

I already have Sygate = Can I ad Zone Alarm or another Firewall for more protection?

More isnt better ......I would stick with one or the other ....just make sure you have it properly configured.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 10:56:06 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.