Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What does Connection Not Encrypted Mean  (Read 24206 times)

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Don't feel bad...I'm lost too.
    What does Connection Not Encrypted Mean
    « on: August 14, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
    Hi again, would someone please help me with this problem. I knowI have mentioned MSN Games before but this is something new I found.

I have been trying to play Text Twist on MSN Games for a while now and for some reason I can't. I was playing it at one point but I can't any longer. I just opened the Properties on the Right Click and it says - CONNECTION  - NOT ENCRYPTED... Could that be why I can't get the game to load and play?   Thanks!
    If you say, "I can", you're right. If you say, "I can't", you're also right.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What does Connection Not Encrypted Mean
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:23:31 AM »
    Not encrypted means the communication on the site is not secured of which most browsers nowadays are continously improving.
    A secure connection is an encrypted exchange of information between the website you are visiting and Internet Explorer. Encryption is provided through a document the website provides called a certificate. When you send information to the website, it is encrypted at your computer and decrypted at the website. Under normal circumstances, the information cannot be read or tampered with while it is being sent, but it's possible that someone might find a way to decode the encryption.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows7/how-to-know-if-an-online-transaction-is-secure

See also http://zone.msn.com/en/support/article/support4211.htm

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:23 AM »
      Hi jason2074, thank you for replying... however, you didn't relate all that info to my question. I'm a basic sort of gal and my main need was to find out if this was the reason I couldn't load and play MSN game(s).

By the way you used the term Certificates. That term, as you probably know is at the bottom of the properties page. I think it is a clickable. I haven't clicked on it though. I get skittish about clicking things I know nothing about.

So now, could this be the reason I can't get some MSN Games to load and if so is there a way to fix it?

Also, does it matter what version IE I'm using. I'm using IE8 on WVSP2.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
      If you suspect it to be browser related you can always install Firefox on the system and see if this different browser is able to play the game. If it is able to play it then it was an IE issues of some kind. If problem remains then its a system problem.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
        Hi DaveLembke I'm not suspecting it's anything. I'm trying to find out from someone here as this site offers help about comps et al, if you guys have encountered this problem before and if it could be that because of the NOT ENCRYPTED whatever that is, that the reason I can't play MSN Games.

I really don't want 2, 3, or 4, browsers on my puter. I will say this... I opened the Properties of another MSN Game and found the same thing but I was playing that game. Yes, I am aware that not all games play alike.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
        I just opened the Properties on the Right Click and it says - CONNECTION  - NOT ENCRYPTED...
        Properties Dialog Box for an Encrypted Web Page Indicates That the Connection Is Not Encrypted
        whatever that is, that the reason I can't play MSN Games.
        Troubleshoot problems playing online games using Internet Explorer
        I really don't want 2, 3, or 4, browsers on my puter.
        Securing Your Web Browser
        Multiple web browsers may be installed on your computer. Other software applications on your computer, such as email clients or document viewers, may use a different browser than the one you normally use to access the web. Also, certain file types may be configured to open with a different web browser. Using one web browser for manually interacting with web sites does not mean other applications will automatically use the same browser. For this reason, it is important to securely configure each web browser that may be installed on your computer. One advantage to having multiple web browsers is that one browser can be used for only sensitive activities such as online banking, and the other can be used for general purpose web browsing. This can minimize the chances that a vulnerability in a web browser, web site, or related software can be used to compromise sensitive information.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
          *Sighs* Ahh, Jason, I need someone to talk to me not shove info at me. I feel another migraine coming. If you have assumed that I'm comp lit in the least. Don't, because I'm not. I drive AOL techs mad. I'll get back to this later. Thanks all.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »
          Not sure what you mean... as most of your queries are documented by the provided links. You just need to read/understand what those causes and or error messages meant. Sorry if I couldn't help you beyond as I'm sure notable members would step in place to provide more assistance.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 12:55:56 AM »
            Msg read Jason, and I do appreciate that you took the time to help me. It's just I can't process anything now. And I feel the problem is MSN's as members have been complaining about their games more than a decade and still are. It seems MSN would do something to make their games more playable to everyone or remove them. It so frustrating when some of their games work and other won't unless you perform surgery on your comp. Well, I'm no surgeon.  That's all Jason. Thanks for your time...

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
              I received an email that my topic was split. Why?? And there is a SOLVED at the bottom. I thought it was up to the OP to say whether or not a topic they started was resolved to their satisfaction not the admins.

I never said I am satisfied with the huge amount of reading Jason posted. I have been reading crap on MSN for years about their games and still don't comprehend whay it all means. I wanted a simply "Yes" or "No" reply to a problem. What I got was the same thing I get in MSN.  And where is the poster's reply that came in a bit ago?  If you don't know the answer you don't know, but someone else in here may as Jason pointed out. There's no need to close my topic. It's not resoled to my satisfaction and I'd like you to repost the post that came in a few minutes ago. 

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
              Your Topic is not closed...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
              And after checking the split was created by some yo-yo spammer who happened to reply to your Topic.
              The only way for us to remove idiots like that is to "split" their post out of the Topic and delete/move them to SPAM...
              If you really want to see that reply i can re-post it...
              Hope this clears things up.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                « Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
                Hello Patio, thanks for the clarification; I was simply going bythe fact that a post that had just come in was removed and when I came in the read the second from Allan (I think it was) I saw the words Topic Solved at the bottom of the page. To me when a topic is solved it it usually closed and isn't in need of more replies.

I appreciated that Jason posted to me however, as someone who is nowhere near a comp geek, I work in basic terms first then expansions. So what I needed was a simple yes or no answer about the term I quoted. From there a yes would have me trying to figure out how to rectify the problem. A no would have closed this topic for me. Most things on the computer to fix requires more than one click. You must click and click and click. I'm not there. And I don't pretend to be. That's why I come to you guys. Becuase you are.

Enjoy your Sunday. Thanks guys...

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 11:59:11 PM »
                The Topic Solved button is there at the bottom of every page...it does not mean your Topic was marked solved...which it isn't.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                  « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:19 AM »
                  I never saw it before the post where I complained. Not that I ever looked for it. I did however think that I scanned the entire page when looking for the NOTIFY button. Although, my limited vision certainly could have prevented my seeing it. NP... thanks.