Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Speed Check  (Read 4128 times)

tankfun652

Topic Starter

• mc.shadowkingdom.net MC Server
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Internet Speed Check
    « on: August 24, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
    Hi, I know this isn't probably the best place to put this, but I'm new I really don't know where to post it.

Ok so Ive looked up what is a good internet speed, some say 15mbps, some say your fine if you have at least over 8. Some say 4. But Ive been experiencing internet problems all the time, and my friends have a better internet than me and never encounter problems. My Average Download speed, tested with speedtest.net, is 3.81 mbps, is that... good? I am using Clear Wireless Internet, my friends use road runner, is road runner better than Clear, if any one has any knowledge about the two services please comment.

Thanks, reply soon.
    Join my minecraft server mc.shadowkingdom.net! Also, pm me if you can help: I want to be able to play pc games on my mac, using something like bootcamp. Please please please pm me if you can help.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Internet Speed Check
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »
    My Average Download speed, tested with speedtest.net, is 3.81 mbps, is that... good?
    The obvious question, what speed are you paying for?  And, how does your actual speed compare to what you're paying for?  Most ISPs offer a range of speeds and you get what you pay for, but physical limitations such as your distance from your telephone company nearest "Central Office", or relay point, if you're using DSL from your phone company, can limit your speed.  For an example of offerings of multiple speeds from an ISP, see http://www.centurylink.com/home/internet/ and click on the Speeds tab there. 

Why did you choose Clear Wireless Internet?  Do you know anyone nearby who is using it?  If so, and if you can talk to them, you could ask how the service is working for them.

edit: Is http://internet.clear.com/  your ISP?