Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 98SE Bootup Problems  (Read 7281 times)

IH8FMS

98SE Bootup Problems
« on: October 16, 2005, 06:27:19 PM »
My husband has Win98SE on his PC and won't even THINK of upgrading, stubborn fellow that he is. He's been trying to get his CH Flight Sim yoke to work, but the system simply won't recognize it; it keeps saying that it is not installed. He has a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card with a separate game port.

He went to the CH website and did some troubleshooting; it said that he needed to install DirectX.

And so we downloaded and installed the Direct X from Microsoft that the yoke website said he needed, and when I rebooted, right when it went to load up the desktop, a window appeared that said: "A required .DLL file, WINDOWS/SYSTEM/SHLWAPI.DLL was not found." Then when I hit enter or clicked on the "OK" thing, another window appeared that said: "Error loading Explorer.exe. You must reinstall Windows." I tried booting up in safe mode and it did the same thing. Repeatedly.

So what am I supposed to do with that? Was it the Direct X that did that? My husband said why didn't I just uninstall the Direct X, but I can't even do that if I can't get Windows to boot up! Do I really have to reinstall Windows and oh is he gonna have a cow, a horse, and other assorted barnyard critters if I do!

And the BIG question.... how did *I* get to be the computer person in this house??? :o

GX1_Man

Re: 98SE Bootup Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »
The sad thing is that you cannot uninstall directX. Been that way for some time. I guess you could get someone to send you the file for your O/S and see if that helps or (gulp) spend a few hours reinstalling Windows. That ought to help for a while.

Let your husband reinstall. It would give him something to do so he doesn't break stuff further!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 06:38:59 PM by GX1_Man »

IH8FMS

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 06:56:05 PM »
The sad thing is that you cannot uninstall directX. Been that way for some time. I guess you could get someone to send you the file for your O/S and see if that helps or (gulp) spend a few hours reinstalling Windows. That ought to help for a while.

Let your husband reinstall. It would give him something to do so he doesn't break stuff further!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

--------------------------------------------------------
Okay.... so, suppose someone sent me the file.
How would I go about installing it if Windows won't boot up, even in Safe Mode?

Pardon me if I sound stupid.

I AM stupid.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 07:12:44 PM »
You can get it from lots of places and it is small enough to fit on a floppy.

you can just go to gooogle.com and enter SHLWAPI.DLL press enter and get lots of links. It seems a lot of companies would like to sell it to you ???, but you can get it free. Look at this link and see if this sounds like you:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_20793747.html

I don't think you need to buy their solution, but you just have to get that file and copy it to the appropriate directory. Microsoft.com may even have it all packed up for you. I would check there.

You can get a boot disk at www.bootdisk.com if you do not have one. COPY is a standard DOS command so you can use it readily to get the file where needed.

copy a:\*.dll c:\windows\system32 and press enter

(or something about that simple)