Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ongoing intermittent wireless network access issues, across networks  (Read 2997 times)

jonathanhotchkiss

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Good afternoon everyone, I hope you're very well :)

I've been having issues with my wifi adapter on my Sony Vaio S4XP, running Windows SP3 I think. The problem causes maybe every page in every browser to intermittently hang, sometimes die, and I frequently repair the adapter and reload the page.

I'd like to try and diagnose this, and wondered what system tools or freeware I can run to ... debug? Maybe the event viewer.

I'm also experiencing a hang issue, nothing appears warning/error wise in application/system events, but it takes minutes before the OS loads fully (where the system tray has TuneUp Utilities and the network connections and their statuses...) but that's a lower priority right now..

As always, any help/suggestions most appreciated.

Happy to try combofix/hijackthis (years since I've tried to fix OS bugs etc but remember these two little apps as being particularly invaluable)

I wasn't certain this was a device / driver / OS / virus issue until I began testing a livedrive app recently. This reports when the connection to the server has been lost, and restored (showing 'repair adapter' resolves the intermittent problem causing me to lose connectivity with... the web.)

Thanks in advance,

Jonny

jonathanhotchkiss

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Ongoing intermittent wireless network access issues, across networks
      « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:20:35 AM »
      Update: the problem has arisen (14:12), suspected when 'sent' and

'drafts' in gmail hangs... checked wifi status, no packets being sent

or received... then Livedrive reports currently not connected.

turned wifi off and back on (using physical switch on vaio) which

resolves... OR (??) had no impact, and the intermittent issue resolved

itself before the wifi adapter was turned back on and the wifi

connetion was re-established.

it's just really annoying! working on affiliate network management, and

the impact to my productivity is painful!

thanks again,

Jonny

Yasjalnadie

Greenhorn

• Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
      Try changing your channel within your wireless modem, sometimes it could be a router issue and not a pc.

If its on automatic change to 11.

Post results once you have tried it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »
      You could provide some more detail.
      Wireless networking, by definition, is not reliable. If we  are talking about 80211g specifications. The regulations  sate that users must expect interference when using current standards. As yet, there is no unregulated wireless service that provides 100% reliability. The mere fact that others get perfect service does not mean you can also.

Please provide some detail about the layout, the topography, of you wireless network. See if you can locate other witless devices in your area.

This document below is dated, but the problem  presented is still a matter of great concern with regard to wireless reliability. It could  mean that somebody in your space could be using a Bluetooth headset the could weaken lour Wi-Fi  connection. No a mere possibility. It does happen.
      http://www.hp.com/rnd/library/pdf/WiFi_Bluetooth_coexistance.pdf
      That is why I said above "users must expect interference"

jonathanhotchkiss

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:51:19 AM »
        I should reiterate that this problem seems to follow me from network to network, does that suggest that the channel settings could be the problem?

Updating settings and monitoring, thanks for the suggestions (more soon)

Jonny