Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop shut down  (Read 3981 times)

jjcat

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    laptop shut down
    « on: September 06, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
    It happened again..Was online and screen went black and laptop shut off and couldn't start back up for about 5 min. When I hit the power button nothing happened except the orange light blinked a couple of times and went out. I know it's not a  heat issue.Although my battery is shot and was using a/c power ..when it did start up the battery indicated 7% charge but should of had 100% .Any ideas? Toshiba 64 L655-S5150
    « Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:31:46 PM by jjcat »

aden

Re: laptop shut down
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »
    That is sometimes a tricky problem to fix. There are a number of things it could be. There are a couple of things I need to know to help narrow down the problem.

How many times does the light flash when it turns off?
    How long between flashes and how long are the flashes?
    How long has this been going on and how often does it happen?

Thank-you
      Aden

jjcat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:47:45 AM »
      Thanks for your response..I can't say for sure but I think the orange light flashed 2 or 3 times...and they were slow lazy flashes.This is the second time this has happened. I failed to mention that when it did restart it started as if it was in sleep or hibernation mode.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
      That battery shouldn't be in there if it is shot...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aden

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »
      It sounds to me like the something is wrong with the power adapter and the computer is just going into standby or hibernation because the battery is low. Most computers will have a flashing light like what you have when the battery dies. Make sure all the plugs on the power cord are firmly in place. If you have an extra, try using that instead.