Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Domain user needs to map home drive  (Read 3045 times)

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Domain user needs to map home drive
    « on: September 10, 2013, 02:59:38 AM »
    Dear Experts

I have got my work laptop (windows 7) that was configured to access a domain work.

When I log in to my laptop the username that was assigned to me is like that : country\d50001122,,,,,,,,made it up and password is : forum

When I am at home I want to backup my work from the laptop to a network drive on my home desktop computer (called storage1).

On my desktop computer I tried to create a username d50001122 ( I removed the country with slash) and with same domain password.

Then I enabled the sharing and the security on my home drive.

I tried from my laptop to access that drive but error message pops us :

You do not have permission to access \\homedesktop\storage1. Contact your network administrator to request access

Did i miss something ? is that error because of user is a domain user ?

Regards

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Domain user needs to map home drive
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
    Its because the laptop is on the corporate domain and needs to be joined to your home domain which might be "mshome" or "workgroup", or whatever custom name you chose.

I ran into this problem with other users at my last job who used their company laptops at home. The best thing for them to do was to use a USB Flash Drive or a USB External Drive to store data on.

One way to make it work over a lan would be to change permissions to allow "everybody" to connect to the network share location, however this opens up security risks, especially if you have WIFI which has access to this share location.

The best option and cheapest which was not available years ago when I supported users of corporate laptops was to use cloud storage on a google or amazon drive where you can store files from the laptop to from anywhere with a network connection to the internet. Its free and easy to set up and secure as long as no one ever gets your credentials. If faced with this problem today, I'd direct the users to use online cloud storage as the solution.

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Domain user needs to map home drive
      « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »
      Hi DaveLembke

Thanks for your reply

joined to your home domain which might be "mshome" or "workgroup", or whatever custom name you chose.
      Just to add what I forget to mention  my home computer not in domain , it is in a workgroup

Regards