Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Smartvoip Application, My Account Hacked  (Read 3978 times)

hell911

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Smartvoip Application, My Account Hacked
    « on: September 12, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
    4 days ago, i had 10 euros in my smartvoip application, then yesterday i saw it became 0.

i checked the call history, and there is the list. 20+ calls made on that day.

so someone got access to my account. i now changed the password and email of that account.

so am i safe or not?

there is no spyware or something in computer, i can assure u that.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Smartvoip Application, My Account Hacked
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
    Possible ways that it was drained:

- Somehow someone either sniffed out or saw your credentials via a keylogger malware or sniffing out unsecured info on network via a hack.

- Your same e-mail and password is the same with another site with a rogue employee that tested that against everything they could and when they found this they drained it.

- You had a really bad /weak password that was too easy to figure out or crack.

- Someone used your phone and you were not hacked but instead they burned up your money in calling fees.

- Someone used a clone phone outside of your control to drain it.

For the fact that you have 20 calls you can track down who they called and try to piece it together maybe. You can perform a lookup if its the same phone number for all 20 calls etc and see who is at that location and call them, not from your phone, but a payphone etc to stay anonymous and ask them questions. The reason to stay anonymous is because some phone numbers when called charge fees, so trying to avoid you getting trapped into surprise fees if its a bad number.

Or you can file with the phone company that it was hacked and get a refund/credit to your account. For the fact that its a small amount of money, I would think that the phone company would likely credit you 10 euros which is cheaper than a drawn out process which would cost more than 10 euro's.

As far as knowing if your safe, I'd put in a small amount of money and see if it disappears again. Although I'd personally run a very good scan on the system to be sure as well as make sure that the password used for the new credentials is not one that can be guessed or easily cracked, and one that is not used with any other accounts.

My brother was taken for $1750 US when someone got his paypal info and drained his checking account. In the end I found out that he was using the same complicated password with all websites he registered with as well as paypal. So one of the sites had a rogue employee or was hacked and a team of hackers hit him up against every banking site etc and elsewhere for access to money to steal and they left him broke. Worst of all it was the end of the month and he needed the money to pay rent. I had to give him a loan to pay rent, and he filed with the bank that his paypal was hacked and in the end he never saw his money again. There was some sort of protection that he opted out of or some other reason why Paypal didnt cover his loss.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »
    Probably smartvoip taking their monthly payment...

At any rate that'll be logged...but that's my guess.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hell911

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
      i dont think this is the case of "rogue employee or something" bec this username is unique and i didnt use this username in any other online registration or application.

i really dont know, i just changed the contact number, email, and password of that account.

and good thing he/she/it didnt delete my saved contacts  :)

if this happened again, i will be making a new account

----------------------

list of calls he/she/it have made..  (all have +63, meaning he made all calls in philippines) (im guessing he/she/it may have dialed random numbers to call random people and maybe mess with them on phone.)