Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-R problems.  (Read 5592 times)

Hipepper

CD-R problems.
« on: July 19, 2004, 07:09:55 AM »
Hey I'm in need for some help.

I formatted my computer a couple days ago.  And now my CD-R doesn't show up.  When I open up My Computer, I see my regular drive (C) and my floppy disc drive.  My CD-R doesn't show up.  And I used my Cd burner program and it said it coudln't find that drive.  I replugged all the plugs to see if that was the problem but it never worked.  Any ideas?  Could it be my Cd-R drive is broken or something?

Thanks

MalikTous

Re: CD-R problems.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 11:54:53 AM »
Which OS?

If you have a SCSI or other non-ATAPI CDROM interface, you may need some added drivers to recognise the drive. If you can boot from a floppy that has drivers that let the CDROm show up, try copying those drivers to a directory on your HD and editting CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to include lines like the ones referencing your CDROM drivers on the floppy.

Sometimes Win98 and Win95 have trouble with recognising CDROMs on older BIOS... Running the DOS level drivers can be a usable work around. Try the following:

Copy OAKCDROM.SYS from an EBD floppy or C:\Windows\Command to a new directory C:\CDROM, and copy also the file MSCDEX.EXE to that directory from that location.

In CONFIG.SYS at the end of the file, add the line:
devicehigh=c:\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
Save and reboot, and see if the CDROM is back.

If not, add this line to AUTOEXEC.BAT:
lh c:\cdrom\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /m:12

The drive should now be visible.

If it still won't show, you may have a bad adaptor setting, adaptor, or CDROM drive or cable. Check to make sure your BIOS is set so both IDE adaptors are active and so the CDROm is detected (use AUTO or CDROM) on its connection.

Vel

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 12:20:56 PM »
I'm having somewhat of the same problem as Hipepper.  I am using Win98..I have a Lite-on 52x32x52 internal CDRW...this RW worked fine in my old machine but once I installed it on my current machine Windows only recognizes it as a CD-Rom.  The BIOS lists 2 drives, both as ATAPI devices.  My burning software Nero5.5.10 is detecting that I have the drive installed but, when I try to burn a CD--I get an error message asking me to insert an empty medium....I do and nothing happens.  I do have a 2nd drive that is truly just a CD-Rom.  Also, when I go to Dev Mgr it lists the 2 drives by name.  I can't get the CD-rw to even play a CD.. the green light comes on then goes off.  Can you give me any ideas or should I follow the advice given by MalikTous?

Hipepper

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 03:40:17 PM »
I'm running Win98.
My CD-R is Plextor CD-R PX-W1210A.

By the way what is an EBD floppy and how do I get it?

What can I do if I have a bad adaptor setting, adaptor, or CDrom drive or cable?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 03:51:23 PM by Hipepper »

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 10:12:14 AM »
When you install Win9x, you have the option to create an Emergency Boot Disk, a floppy with a minimal DOS bootup configuration on it. When you have internal problems with Windows, or if you want to re-install Windows, you can use this disk in the floppy to boot to DOS and repair or prepare the system as appropriate.

The Win95 EBD typically does NOT include the CDROM drivers, you can copy OAKCDROM.SYS and MSCDEX.EXE from the c:\Windows\Command directory to fix this and add the appropriate lines to Config.SYS and Autoexec.BAT on the floppy.

The Win98 EBD includes the CDROM drivers and a menu select option set.

To manually build a boot floppy in Win9x, first place a blank floppy in the A drive and format it with the Full and Copy System Files options. Then copy the following files:

c:\windows\himem.sys
c:\windows\emm.386.exe
c:\windows\command\fdisk.*
c:\windows\command\sys.*
c:\windows\command\format.*
c:\windows\command\oakcdrom.sys
c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe
c:\windows\command\xco*.*
c:\windows\command\edit*.*

to the root of the floppy, and use a text edittor to create a CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT on the floppy to run the appropriate programs from the floppy vice the HD. If you have any added drive access interfaces (SCSI or a special-interface CDROM), copy those drivers as well and assign them in CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Plextor includes a Plextor Drive Manager utility, but I have never seen one of their drives fail to perform well with standard drivers, nor have I ever encountered a failure in a Plextor that wasn't due to things other than the drive. You may just have a bad 40-pin cable for it, or a bad MB adaptor connection...

There are websites (www.bootdisk.com?) where you can download bootable floppy images and make a boot floppy easily.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 10:13:17 AM by MalikTous »

PCgeek8080

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 04:32:31 PM »
u can use the add/remove hardware option

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 05:35:36 PM »
with win98 look in the device manager and cdr drive icon?? is the dma ticked on your cdr drive?

teg1961

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 08:24:37 AM »
I have Windows ME and now my CD-R doesn't show up.  When I open up My Computer, the CD R show at the bottom of my tool bar with a circle and a red line thu it. I see my regular drive (C) and my floppy disc drive.  My CD-R doesn't show up.  And I used my Cd burner program and it said it coudln't find that drive.  I replugged all the plugs to see if that was the problem but it never worked.  Any ideas?  Could it be my Cd-R drive is broken or something?

Vel

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 05:35:29 PM »
Please see my post on 7/19----I still cannot make my CD-R work...windows 98 recognizes it as a CDrom.  Even my burn software sees it but, when I try and burn--nothing!  Any help pleassssse?

MalikTous

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 01:38:33 PM »
Try another 40-line ATAPI/IDE cable. Try the drive on its own as master on that cable. Make sure your CDROM and CDR drives are not both set to Master or Slave. If your cable or adaptor is a Cable Select model, both drives have to be set to Cable Select.

coachswife

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 07:28:51 AM »
I have the same problem as teg1961 except I have Windows 98.  I also have a red line through my CD-R drive.  

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 02:41:47 PM »