Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I virus scan D: drive?  (Read 7619 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Can I virus scan D: drive?
    « on: October 19, 2013, 02:28:59 AM »
    I added a new drive (D: ) to my desktop for some extra space & wanted to scan it for viruses, but all of the ones I have used only scan the C: drive.

Does anyone know how I might virus scan this drive please?

Thanks ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Salmon Trout

Re: Can I virus scan D: drive?
    « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 03:12:08 AM »
    Microsoft Security Essentials has a Custom Scan option where you can choose a drive letter. Surely all antivirus apps have this? Have you checked?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 03:54:33 AM »
    All AV's allow you to select the drives to scan to the best of my knowledge.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 04:02:29 AM »
    MSE installs right-click options in Windows Explorer so that you can right click a drive icon and choose "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials...". I am pretty sure every AV app will let you scan all drives. They would be pointless otherwise. A quick Google seems to confirm this for Avira, Kaspersky, Norton and Avast.

The OP's question should probably be "How do I scan a particular drive with XXX antivirus?"

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
    The OP's question should probably be "How do I scan a particular drive with XXX antivirus?"

After seeing the McAfee Youtube Rant Video, featuring John McAfee himself with adult humor ... you have to wonder if he would make a XXX Antivirus... sorry if I derailed this... but seeing XXX Antivirus gave me a flashback of that youtube video that I had a laugh at.

Surprised the content filter didnt pick up on XXX and censor it. Probably would be best to go with:

The OP's question should probably be "How do I scan a particular drive with  [ Antivirus Name Here ]?"

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
    Surprised the content filter didnt pick up on XXX and censor it.

I guess that's a joke; a content filter replaces actual profanity with placeholders such as Xs or hyphens or asterisks; those things are not themselves profane.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
    XXXXXX
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
      Thanks for the replies.
      I think DaveLembke has a valid point. I have SAS and MalwareBytes (free) on my desktop computer as well as MSE to name a few. HJT etc. etc. Oh and yes I found MSE does have that option (thanks Salmon Trout).

I wanted to give the drive a thorough going over.

Im (reasonably) sure I had the drive installed when I tried to virus scan it.

Adding the drive has come about from other issues on this computer. Ultimately I think it was a flat battery in the motherboard. 2 beeps at startup, cannot find SATA 0, slow to load Windows past the blue screen, so on.
      So I am going through the system bit by bit and decided to add another drive.
      However I suspect the C: drive may actually be ready to fail. (That might be a different posting later)? :-\

Back to the question yes I tried to look around on the Antivirus scan on SAS & MalwareBytes, but Im (reasonably) sure/unsure I had the drive installed when I tried to virus scan it.

I guess I will just have to step back for a minute and start at the beginning to make sure I am doing it all right and fix 1 issue at a time.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
      ..., but Im (reasonably) sure/unsure ....
      ???  So, which is it, sure or unsure?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:03 AM »
      Im (reasonably) sure I had the drive installed when I tried to virus scan it.

Reasonably sure or definitely sure, or completely unsure, if you didn't have it installed, you definitely wouldn't have been able to scan it.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »
      Reasonably sure or definitely sure, or completely unsure, if you didn't have it installed, you definitely wouldn't have been able to scan it.
      Somebody has done some editing.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 04:56:05 AM »
        All right.. Now I am confident that I did actually have it installed when I did the scan.

I know this because I just tried it again. and it failed.

So into "my computer" and it is not there too? Even after I rebooted just to make sure?

Ok lets try this again.

At first I thought it was the ram, then considered a Windows problem. Then this computer came up with the 2 beeps and a sloooow start. So I changed the battery & added the new drive.
        I added the new drive to the wrong connection SATA 0 instead of 1 and it was seen as the master. (So the drive works and is recognized. It also has Win XP on it.)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
          I think I found why my computer did not scan this drive.
          Going through the BIOS, I found the settings for a second (slave) drive was switched to "Off", for a better term. Now I have it as "Auto".

So lets see if that makes a difference.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
            « Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »
            Now thats a lot better. I have been able to scan the other drive and removed all threats that were indicated.
            Since then I have done several other scans after going on the net and removed any threats that presented.

My conclusion is; that the original problem was more than just the wrong connection and potentially the battery was failing simultaneously.
            Having removed the battery (IMHO) the bios reset to accept only the master.

All AV's allow you to select the drives to scan to the best of my knowledge.
            Also I found that all the AV's (that I have on my computer)  are selectable as to what drive to scan.

Now on to the next problem for me then.
            This computer doesnt have any conflicts, yet is slow to boot into Windows.
            So I am going to try to upgrade the memory from 2 gig to 3 or 4 gig to see if it performs better.
            As for scanning problem fixed.

Thanks everyone. ;D