Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "apt-get update" succeeded in ubuntu 9.04 but failed at 13.04  (Read 5588 times)

Stan Huang

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    "apt-get update" succeeded in ubuntu 9.04 but failed at 13.04
    « on: October 15, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
    I ran "sudo apt-get update" in both ubuntu 9.04 & 13.04. It succeeded at 9.04 but failed at 13.04. The /etc/apt/sources.list are the same at both version. How come they had different result? In my opinion, sources.list contains all servers to be checked. If the sources.list is the same, the result should be the same. The version of Linux or Ubuntu shouldn't matter. Attached is the failure screenshot of version 13.04. Am I right? Could anyone tell me why? Thanks.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: "apt-get update" succeeded in ubuntu 9.04 but failed at 13.04
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
    It appears that it is not getting out to the site to get the updates and that is why you are getting 404 errors. I see that you are running this in a virtual box. Does this virtual box have its virtual NIC bound to a physical NIC to go out to the web? Is this virtual box of Linux able to surf the web? If its able to surf the web and yet not able to get the updates and states 404 errors that would be an interesting one.

Stan Huang

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: "apt-get update" succeeded in ubuntu 9.04 but failed at 13.04
      « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
      I confirmed the Linux can surf web very well. So, how come is the interest one? Thanks.