Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bluetooth Headset  (Read 6896 times)

johnson094

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Bluetooth Headset
    « on: October 20, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »
    I am trying to connect a StraightTalk Bluetooth Headset Model # STB13W1021 to my Dell N5110 laptop.  I have attached a screenshot of the specs on my laptop.  My computer is  able to "find" the bluetooth headset and the drivers download and I receive the message that the device is ready to use.  I then try to play music from my lap top and have no audio through the headset though the computer speakers work fine.

When I check playback devices the bluetooth headset is not shown.  When checking Bluetooth settings, all settings seem to be set correctly but when I close settings I get the error that "Windows Shell  Common dll has stopped working"  Also when I check Bluetooth services for the headset it shows "Listen to Music" and "Forward VOIP calls to handsfree" but neither links are active.  (see screenshot)

My son also has the same Dell computer using Windows 7 Home Premium but does not have Service Pack One.  I was able to connect this headset to his computer without a problem and the Bluetooth services links are active on his computer.  The headset works great.  I have gone through all the settings and compared them to his computer and they appear to be the same.

I have connected this headset to my Droid 2 phone and it works properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
    • Sup!?
      • Where we learn IT daily!
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bluetooth Headset
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:44:10 PM »
    You need to right click on the volume button (bottom right) and then select Playback Devices. Then select your blue tooth device and set it as your default.

Should be good to go.
    Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

johnson094

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:52:23 AM »
      Thanks for the reply.  I did this and the bluetooth device does not show in the list of output devices.

For what it's worth, I have Ubuntu 12.4 on this laptop as well and can connect bluetooth as well, but sound will not come thru device

Thinking it is something with Dell computer itself....

David 

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
      • Sup!?
        • Where we learn IT daily!
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

johnson094

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:40:30 PM »
        Hi,

I looked over those sites and though I found nothing specific, it did get me thinking and thinking that the problem had to do with my computer itself, I began looking at the Intel Bluetooth/Wireless software.  Having nothing to lose, I first located the files and found downloads of these files on the Intel site.  I then uninstalled all software having to do with Intel Bluetooth/Wireless software and reinstalled them.

The Bluetooth headset was installed again and now appears in the list of sound "playback devices" .  In order to get the headset to work I have to left click on the Headset icon in the "Bluetooth devices" window and then click on "play music" in order to play music from my computer through the headset.  I also notice that the "double green lines" between the headphone icon and the Dell icon is no longer there.  This is probably the reason I must repeat the above procedure each time I turn off the headset and then turn it on again.

It is still not operating correctly but I have made progress.

Thanks