Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft webcam fails to work with "Creation of the video preview failed"  (Read 8213 times)

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

I recently started using a Microsoft webcam (Device manager shows it as Microsoft Lifecam VX-2000, model number printed on the camera is 1381). At first everything seemed to be OK as Skype worked OK. At that moment that was all I needed. However, later on I realized that all other programs somehow are unable to use it including Win XP I am using. When I go to My Computer, double click on camera’s icon I get a pop up window with “Creation of the video preview failed. Please check the device connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another application or user.” message. All other programs (Acrobat, Photoshop, Word) are facing the same issue.
    I have a doubt that the remaining of my previous Intel CS330 webcam’s drivers may be the reason. Is it possible and if it is how to resolve the issue? I say doubts, as although I uninstalled the drivers of this Intel cam. from device manager, all the programs are still showing “Intel USB Video Camera” in the list of scanners when I go to Import/scan/insert picture menus. Also, when I chose “Intel USB Video Camera” option from the list, my Mocrosoft camera’s light blinks and “Intel USB Video Camera – Image Source” window pops up along with that “Creation of the video preview failed. Please check the device connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another application or user.” error window. I did a search in my computer to find that Image Source software, but found nothing.
    By the way, I just plugged it in my other computer running Win XP and everything was OK there.
    Please help.

Regards
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:02:24 PM by gev »

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Microsoft webcam fails to work with "Creation of the video preview failed"
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
    Quit Skype and check again is the problem persist. Also check no other application is using the
    webcam. Open Task manager and check for applications that may be using the webcam.

Important: Make sure you have the correct and the latest drivers for the webcam. Drivers can be obtained from either the manufacturer's website or driver CD (if shipped with the webcam, most probably small in size).

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:02:30 AM »
      Thanks PCDoc, but that's standard, I've done these first thing. Nothing is task manager that's using it, drivers are from Microsoft up to date page, windows update shows my hardware drivers are up to date.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »
      Do you have k-lite codec pack installed? If yes,
      Try the 2nd answer from This link

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »
        No, I don't have Klite installed.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:15:33 AM »
        To me it seems like 'another' software is using or configured to use the camera. That another software or its service is running in the background. It can also be "amcap" video capture utility which sometimes is configured to start automatically when windows loads. Click start > Run > type 'msconfig' (without quotes) and press enter. In the System configuration Utility, click the Startup TAB and uncheck all those applications that relate to either the webcam or softwares that you know/think use your webcam. Click Apply and restart the computer.

Please post back results.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 04:35:46 AM »
          If I provide you the list of Running Tasks along with Startup Programs, could you point me out the ones please? Just in case here they are attached.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
          « Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
          I am listing all those applications which are not important to run at the startup and may be eating the memory unnecessarily and also the ones which are suspected to use webcam.

kiespdlr.exe Kiespreload, Kiestray agent, lingvo launcher,  msmsgs, npstartup, nerofiltercheck, Qucktime Task, TKbellexe, autodetect.exe, desktop.ini (all), groovemonitor.exe, daemon tools, adobe, acrobat, adobe arm, acrobat assistant. Also remove the second entry which is blank.

Why are some of the above programs starting from the e:\ drive? I suspect some of these startups, you should first run Malwarebytes to make sure you are clean.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 08:18:01 AM »
          Is E:\ a virtual drive from Daemon ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
            No, E is a logical drive. C, D and E are my physical HDD.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
              PCdoc,
              Sorry I missed your most recent response.
              You know I actually provided you the list from System Information, not actual msconfig. That way, unlike msconfig,  I could easily copy/paste the list. Now I do see some inconsistencies there. Do you know an easy way of copying from msconfig?