Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wont Start Window After a New Motherboard(HELP ME)  (Read 28852 times)

ranma67

Wont Start Window After a New Motherboard(HELP ME)
« on: October 20, 2005, 09:13:17 PM »
I bought a new motherboard few days ago and it wont let me get to window. In the Bio, i've set all the settings and it regonized all the hardwars. After i press "save & exsit" on bio  it takes me to a black screen and it starts to load cpu speed, memory, HD, Roms,etc. then it try to load the window but failed and that lead me to a menu where it say "start windows normally, safe mode,etc" and i tried all of them, failed all. I asked few people on yahoo and they told me that the HD is on my old MB's setting, so i need to reinstall window to fix this. Is this true? if yes, is there an easier way to do this because i dont have OS cd. Will system recovery cd work? i tried the system recovery cd  but it say "ERRO! PC system dont support". i dont know what that means. If i Do need to format my HD with OS CD, how do i do so? Does it require a floppy drive? is there a way to do it without a floppy drive?

GX1_Man

Re: Wont Start Window After a New Motherboard(HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 09:14:44 PM »
If you install a new motherboard you need to install Windows again. (Sorry!)

In a few instances, it can be cobbled into working, but if you get that far, you are likely to have other issues down the road. Just do it now for your peace of mind.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:14:54 PM by GX1_Man »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:02:26 PM »
    I think you will need to purchase a 'real' xp disk or 'get' w2k.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 02:45:39 AM »
    Sounds like you have fitted a new motherboard into an OEM computer. Which make and model is it?

The Recovery CD will only relate to the original hardware.

So you may need to get a new hard-drive and a genuine copy of Windows XP, or just the latter and wipe your old drive so you can do a clean-install.

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
      « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 05:14:03 AM »
      Does it say this compuer holds no valid information or similar?
      Packard Bell by any chance?

There is a Registry Hack to get past needing to reinstall XP but if it is OEM and a PB then you need to run something called a tattoo.

IF it if PB then If you get me the serial number of your machine and the 10 digit number off the master cds (usually 698130101 or similar) I can get all the information you need. (I work for a company that provides tech support for all branded OEM's except Dell!). And I have access to PB's tech website...which is nice!!

It's a bit of a process (about 15 minutes over the phone). I am uk and would go through this with you over the phone if you liked.
      A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

ranma67

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 02:38:46 PM »
      Its my old computer and HD still has all the data. Do i just put in window cd or do i have to wipe out all the data in the HD first? how do u wipe out all the data in the HD anyway?

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 03:47:52 PM »
      Stick the Windows CD in the CDROM and start the machine. Follow the  prompts. Be sure to format the partition when given the option. If greater than 256  RAM use NTFS file system. If 256 or less RAM use FAT32.

There are links to installing on the main page, but you may not need them.

Be sure and identify hardware prior to installing in Control Panel/System - video card, sound card, etc.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »
      What o/s is on the hard drive..
      « Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 04:11:14 PM by merlin_2 »

ranma67

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 06:08:41 PM »
      its Windows xp home edition sp2. GX1 man, how do i get to control panel when i cant even get pass the window start up?

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 06:37:19 PM »
      Sorry, forgot about that. We can learn more later. Go ahead and reformat and reinstall.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 06:53:09 PM »
        i dont have OS cd

Will system recovery cd work? i tried the system recovery cd  but it say "ERRO! PC system dont support"

*Yawn*

ranma67

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 10:48:24 AM »
        does it require a floppy drive to do this? cuz i dont one...

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 11:06:28 AM »
        does it require a floppy drive to do this? cuz i dont one...

u don't need 1 cuz u need 2 follow instruktion abuv.

Get the cuffs Fed.

ranma67

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 01:45:22 PM »
        i dont get what u meant.... What else do u need to format and reinstall window besides the OS cd? can your gimme step by step instead of all these corrupted info?

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
          • Yes
        « Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 01:54:28 PM »
        Well obviouslly you can't reinstall the Operating System Without a Window CD. Yes, I know sometimes they sell you computers without the Windows CD Especially when you buy a computer. Just borrow a friends or someone to fix it.

To boot from CD enter system setup with F2, Delete, Etc... and look for BOOT SEQUENCE. Choose CDROM as first Only works with legal copies of Windows!
        « Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 02:00:36 PM by Windows98 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 01:57:14 PM »
        i dont get what u meant.... What else do u need to format and reinstall window besides the OS cd? can your gimme step by step instead of all these corrupted info?

What is "corrupted info"? You need to reinstall with your own, LEGAL Windows CD. Put the CD in the drive and start the machine. It's really very simple.

merlin_2

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 03:43:09 PM »
        winxp does not like a change of  any hardware/

The forerunner of windows vista.........bg gates controls the it world......he dictatates to hardware/software makers.......what is ok for HIS........software to run on .....

Will it soon be a dell/msoft pc........that is only available..

Or is dell really msoft.
        « Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 03:45:00 PM by merlin_2 »