Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer beep during POST  (Read 3011 times)

motomark

Computer beep during POST
« on: October 21, 2005, 06:55:39 AM »
I have put together a barebones kit from Tiger but am having a problem.  Upon powering up, I get a long repeating beep. Keyboard lites up when power is turned on but does not activate when computer is booted up, no video.  Fans work, fan on AGP card works.  CD ROM led is on.  I have two SATA HDs plugged directly into the motherboard, not using IDE slots.  CD ROM is plugged into the IDE1 slot.  

GX1_Man

Re: Computer beep during POST
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 08:14:41 AM »
Beep codes should be identified in the motherboard manual that came with your system. If Tiger didn't send one then check the manufacturer web site.

motomark

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 09:03:49 AM »
I have, manual only has two beep codes for the award bios and neither one describes my problem

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 11:41:50 AM »
Try re-seating your video card. Or move it to a new slot.
Also make sure your RAM sticks are seated properly.

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 12:53:22 PM »
I have, manual only has two beep codes for the award bios and neither one describes my problem

What is the make and model # of the motherboard?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 07:59:57 PM »
Motomark:

Actually, there are three beep codes for Award BIOS:

1 Long, 2 Short = Video card error
1 Long, 3 Short = Video card error
Continuous Beeps = Memory error

For a memory error, remove and reseat the memory modules (i.e., RAM sticks) while the power is off.  If that doesn't work, buy some contact cleaner from an electronics store (e.g., Radio Shack) and clean the contacts on the RAM sticks and the banks on the motherboard and reseat the RAM sticks.  If that doesn't work, one of the sticks is bad.  Remove them all but the one in the first bank and restart the computer. If the computer boots OK, power it off and add a second in the second bank.  When the computer fails to start, you have found the bad stick.  Replace it with one of the same type (e.g., PC-100 or whatever type your system requires).

Hope that helps,
Doc

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 08:04:51 PM »
BTW:

A memory error may also be caused by a failing power supply, because the power supply fails to provide enough power to the memory modules, so they stop working properly for lack of wattage. So, if replacing the memory module(s) does not work, consider having a computer repair shop replace the power supply for you.  Purchase one with a higher wattage rating (e.g., if it is rated for 300 watts, replace it with one that will put out 400 watts).

Best regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 08:27:48 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Mac

Computer beep during POST
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 12:34:05 AM »
Motto "Don't use Award BIOS" ?