Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flashget?? Download accelerator??  (Read 7942 times)

helpless_newbie

Flashget?? Download accelerator??
« on: July 20, 2004, 05:15:48 AM »
Hi, hope anyone can help me answer these questions which had been around my mind for a month.

1. What is flashget?What is download accelerator? What is this kind of softwares? Who created them??
2. How they work(this is my focus)? Why can they accelerate our downloads while windows itself cannot?
3. Are they free??
4. What other things can they do?
5. Are they reliable? Are they compatible with my OS? Will they cause any system unstability or vulnerability?
6. Last but not least, are they good? Should i use them?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can answer my question....

Raptor

Re: Flashget?? Download accelerator??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 05:30:52 AM »
I think http://www.google.com has more than enough answers.

1. donot know what Flashget is, however a download accelerator is 'supposedly' able to speed up your download. However, for people unexperienced with the Internet, I suggest you leave ANYTHING that promises you that your PC will become faster alone

2. I have no idea, as I said, I donot trust them.

3. Depends on what software you are downloading. Again, google.com has your answer.

4. google.com has your answer.

5. That depends on the type of software. Nothing that promises to speed up your PC for free can be reliable. Unless it is recommended by professional users. You are most likely using Windows. Almost all the software out there is compatible with Windows.

6. You are appearantly new to the computers and/or the Internet - I suggest you do some research before asking questions or downloading files that may be dangerous.

helpless_newbie

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 08:50:23 AM »
It's a shame to ask questions like these, i know. But sad to say, I had been using computers since 1995.
But only started to be active in the internet these few years. I am not so expert in these things because i am not resourceful enough...... I had no one to ask for help here!

I appreciate your answers a lot, but what kind of keywords should i use in google? I might find useless result if i don't know what word to use, you know, i don't want their own information and intros...again, its because i don't have enough "methods/roads/ways" to search for informations

Once again, thanks a lot.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 10:16:05 AM »
I suggest you read through the (internet) articles on How Stuff Works and make use of the database at
Computer Hope

I strongly recommend that you use a different browser, such as Firefox for better security and usability

To more efficiently use Google and know what kind of keywords to use read the Google help guide.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 10:17:25 AM by Raptor »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »
    helpless......Flashget is a great download manager.....It should be a must on everyone's p/c ......LOL.
    when you wish to d/l something , it will connect to the site and just do its thing.....which is to d/l .....you can pause it start it and so on ......but as I said earlier if you want a good d'l manager ......it's the one.
    No , its not free , but there are a number of sites around which have evaluation copies for download.
    Flashget is very reliable and does not cause any system problems...I use it all the time with Win xp .......
    Yes, you should use it .....however thats just my opinion....

Hope  this answers some of your questions.
    dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 01:43:51 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.