Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Chromecast - Wireless Issue [solved] sharing fix  (Read 23740 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Chromecast - Wireless Issue [solved] sharing fix
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
Installed Chromecast and while its cool once its working, its quite an odd install, and not without potential for problems.

Install Process:

1.) Unbox Chromecast device and plug into TV HDMI and plug micro USB into USB port of TV to power it and avoid another cord to an outlet.

2.) Device boots and directs you to url

3.) You go to URL and it directs you to connect to Chromecast unprotected wifi

4.) Connected to unprotected Chromecast wifi and it then shows a code on TV of say 5Y6R.

5.) You enter this code into the web interface of the Chromecast and it now verified that your laptop is connected to configure the Chromecast device.

6.) You then have to select from a list of detected wifi networks, which one is yours.

7.) With wifi network selected you then have to enter the security key/password

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is where trouble started:  

I have 2 wifi routers and I wanted to connect to the D-Link which is 128-bit WEP ( I have very few neighbors around my home so its ok that its not the most secure), but Chromecast would not connect to this wireless router.

So I went back and instead of using my D-Link with 128-bit WEP, I chose to instead connect to my newest router which is WPA2 [AES]. It connected with no problems with this other $14 wireless router.

*This 2nd wifi router was added to free up the one router from wifi bombardment and loadbalance some, so while my wife and daughter connect to the older D-link, the Chromecast and my devices connect to the newer wireless over WPA2-[AES].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So problem solved moving on...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8.) In order to control this device that is now connected to your wireless network you need to have Chrome browser installed. So Installed Chrome and wasnt too thrilled about only option for this browser was to download the beta version. I try to avoid beta's unless its a new game that is in development and its a way to play the game before release etc.  You then go through a step with a screenshot of wireless network manager with no words on what to do, and its prompting you to basically disconnect from unsecured Chromecast and connect back up with this same wireless network that the Chromecast is connected to.

9.) Search Google on how to control Chromecast from Laptop. There is a control tab in the upper right corner with drop down. Click on tab and tell it to cast the display from the laptop to the TV.

10.) PC display is now cloned to the TV with some lag. ( Lag might be that I was using Netbook with Intel Atom processor through this process.)

11.) First hit Youtube and play video and tell it to go full screen. Cool it works.

12.) Next goto www.fox.com and see if the streaming episodes can play. Cool they play

13.) Now back to youtube because daughter wants me to play a video. Netbooks battery is at 12% now and I need to shut it down. I wonder if the Chromecast will stop with the shutdown i the netbook that is playing the youtube video along side the chromecast is powered down.

14.) Shutdown netbook and the chromecast was chugging along playing youtube video on its own without requiring the netbook to be on to play it. COOL!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how many others are using the Chromecast here, but I found the installation lacking in detail and had I only had the one wifi router I probably would have thought something was wrong with the chromecast device since it wouldnt connect to a router that works fine with other network devices like Kindle Fire, Laptops, and Desktops etc. Having this other wireless router was the only way I got it to work without I suppose changing the wireless security to WPA2 etc from WEP and all devices that connect to it as well, so connecting to this 2nd wireless router was the easy way out of a mess I could have gotten into.

SO... If you have a D-Link Wireless Router such as my D-Link DIR-601 and a Chromecast, and the Chromecast is not connecting when using WEP Key or Passphase/Password etc,  try using WPA2 [AES] instead of WEP 128-bit.

platypus

Re: Chromecast - Wireless Issue [solved] sharing fix
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
    I know this is old but just wanted to say thanks, this helped me solve a compatibility issue that was driving me crazy for days

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Chromecast - Wireless Issue [solved] sharing fix
    « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 05:43:38 AM »
    Glad it helped.  :)