Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Malwarebytes + Avast antivirus vs. Norton antivirus which pakage is better ?  (Read 12739 times)

Narendra_000

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • keep happy your lappy.........
    • Experience: Experienced
    Malwarebytes + Avast antivirus vs. Norton antivirus which package is better and why?

I often think that Norton has earned reputation by giving world class security in term of various services like Norton antivirus, Identity Theft, Norton identity etc. but i wonder why people recommend me to go for free Avast antivirus free addition + Malwarebytes free addition instead of Norton.

Are you able to give me the following answer below---

1. Norton has auto protect feature over Avast then why Avast is better?
    2. should avast be used with Malwarebytes? there will not be any conflict running two antivirus app?

3. Reasons why Avast is better than Norton?
    4. how Malwarebyte is different from any other antivirus scanner.?
    5. Which package of antivirus + anti malware is better.?

I am running Norton antivirus over 3 year till now on my windows 7 pc but today i have run Malwarebytes for the first time on my system and seen the result
    that there were 23 objects detected by Malwarebytes.

I am wondering why my latest updated Norton antivirus did not do such job as did by Malwarebytes. I suspects that Norton antivirus does not work well.

Please give me suggestions what should i choose?

nsinh_000

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    First, one point needs to be clearly stated.  Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program; it is an anti-malware program.  And, Malwarebytes, at least the free version, does not run in the background.  So, that fact that Malwarebytes found undesirable objects does not mean that Norton isn't doing its job well. 

i wonder why people recommend me to go for free Avast antivirus free addition + Malwarebytes free addition instead of Norton.
    Most likely, the reason is simply that they just prefer to avoid paying for antivirus protection if they can get free protection.  And, regarding the use of Malwarebytes free edition with avast, I, like many other users, would use Malwarebytes in combination with any antivirus program.  Again, Malwarebytes is not, per se, an antivirus program; Malwarebytes and other malware detection/removal programs such SuperAnti-Spyware or Spyware Blaster can, and should, be used in conjunction with antivirus software, regardless of what antivirus software you use. 

NOTE: Keep in mind free versions of any program are usually limited to personal, i.e. non-business use; using them on computers used for business purposes is a violation of the software license agreement.

I have avast Antivirus Free and Malwarebytes free edition on my laptop.  The laptop came with Norton Internet Security and I thought Norton was quite good.  But, when the trial period expired, I elected to remove Norton and install the free version of avast, which I was already using on a desktop system.  Again, the choice is a matter of preference.  You generally do get some features with paid versions of software that are not available in free versions and some users, like me, feel comfortable using the free version.  So, since you like Norton, I see no reason to suggest switching to some other antivirus, whether its free or not.

Narendra_000

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      Thanks for your response, :)

As you said you have also used Norton antivirus on your system. Kindly figure out  that what is difference between Avast and Norton both antivirus.

Would you like to explain about the features of Avast which is better than Norton and also let me know
      why Norton recognizes some files as bad even though they are not bed and used by many user on the planet like Adw cleaner.

any response shall be appreciated.
      nsinh_000

soybean

Genius
      As you said you have also used Norton antivirus on your system. Kindly figure out  that what is difference between Avast and Norton both antivirus.
      I can't comment on details of differences because I only used Norton for that trial period which ended around the end of April or beginning of May, as I recall, and I can't recall enough details about it to comment on differences. 

Would you like to explain about the features of Avast which is better than Norton
      Same response as above.  A Google search on comparison of antivirus software will yield numerous reviews.  But, since their results vary widely, I am skeptical of the value of some of them.  For a thorough list of antivirus software and comparison of some main features, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_antivirus_software

also let me know
      why Norton recognizes some files as bad even though they are not bed and used by many user on the planet like Adw cleaner.
      When an antivirus program does that, it's called a "false positive".  Norton is certainly not the only antivirus program that occasionally finds a false positive.  I suggest you post that question at https://community.norton.com/.  Or perhaps someone here will can comment.  You can probably open some screen in your Norton control panel and tell Norton not to treat Adw cleaner as an infection.  You can probably confirm this feature by visiting the Norton community forum.
      « Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:50:49 PM by soybean »

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • My first self-built computer
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Familiar
      Great advice and I can only add that Norton, among others like AVG are resource hogs. What is the model of your equipment, connection speed, and how much memory (RAM) is it equipped with? That make's a difference when selecting an anti-virus provider. I run several computers, my main being an HP laptop with 4Gb memory, and Windows Security Essentials and it does fine for me. Note - that I watch out for suspicious temptations for what I click on when surfing the internet,
       I installed Malwarebytes (lifetime protection) 2007, and SuperAntiSpyware (lifetime protection) 2009 on my machine and I've had no issues with any virus, malware, spyware issues since.
       Also I would like too confirm the great advice already given here - Only run 1 antivirus software program and also only run 1 firewall software too.
       I hope you get it going well. You've come to the right place for excellent help.
      Mike

Narendra_000

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I installed Malwarebytes (lifetime protection) 2007, and SuperAntiSpyware (lifetime protection) 2009 on my machine and I've had no issues with any virus, malware, spyware issues since.

yea you are right but you are running more than one protection. can you tell me how you handle them on your system?
         completely different programs for one system do not conflict each other?
        nsinh_000

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
        No, these do not conflict. I have automatic updates and scans set for different times on both. Multiple different malware, spyware software can be used, and each of these (Malwarebytes - SuperAntiSpyware) target some different types of issues. The problem with running multiple protection software only exist with 'anti-virus' software and 'firewall' protection. So be sure your antivirus sofware is the only antivirus software installed on your system. If you have 2 antivirus programs then un-install 1 of them, and likewise with firewall protection.
         I hope this helps. Happy new year!
        Mike

soybean

Genius
        Norton, among others like AVG are resource hogs ...
        With regard to Norton, I can say it was not a resource hog when I had it on my HP laptop (Win 8, 4GB RAM).  By "resource hog', we mean a program that slows a computer.  Norton seems to have come full circle on this issue.  I used it way back in 2002 and it was not a resource hog then.  But in some later years, it became bloated and got a reputation for being a resource hog.  But, Norton (parent company is Symantec) recognized the issue and seems to have done a good job of resolving it.  I noticed no resource usage issue with my laptop.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
        That's good to know. I haven't used Nortom (Symantec) in several years. I may try this protection again. I was very happy with the protection provided years ago which was way better than MSE other than the resourses it consumed. So I may go try it again.
         Thanks for the info soybean!
        Mike