Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Interesting Xeon Mod for socket 775  (Read 15992 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Interesting Xeon Mod for socket 775
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:28:26 PM »
Surfing ebay I came across this interesting mod to run Xeon socket 771 in a socket 775 motherboard.

Here is the ebay hit I found and below this is another link to it from another source. Guessing you need a special BIOS version to support recognition of a Xeon though since the BIOS has to support the CPU.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Quad-CPU-MOD-Q9650-Q9550S-Q9450-Q9400-Q9300-Q8400-Q8300-LGA-771-775/291045406492?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18472%26meid%3D3729821884620788873%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D8385%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D331088325919%26#ht_1154wt_1133

More info here:
http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Interesting Xeon Mod for socket 775
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 02:38:42 AM »
Impressive, I had no idea this would be possible, or indeed feasible, due to BIOS support.
Reading the link though, it seems that just supporting similar CPUs *should* be enough, which kind of makes sense.
If one was available in the UK (I'll have a search in a minute) I might order one and try it out, it's cheap enough, seems interesting and I have a few 771 Xeons doing nothing.

Edit: it looks like it would be trivial to do the mod yourself actually, although buying this would be easier and potentially more reversible.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
Edit: it looks like it would be trivial to do the mod yourself actually, although buying this would be easier and potentially more reversible.

Yah I agree. I dont have any extra Xeons laying around to try this with myself, but it looks like masking some connections and removing the 2 key way tabs to socket 775 is the trick. Best part is that the removal of these tabs does not make the motherboard socket 775 to 771 mod irreversible, so if the Xeon doesnt work in your motherboard you can simply put the normal socket 775 CPU back in, just paying attention to pin 1 now..LOL

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »
Heh, exactly.  Looks like there are a few success stories over at OCN too, useful info.

I may have something incoming to try this out with, I have a 775 board but I doubt it'll work with my Xeons as it's an oddball chipset.
I don't have anything special lying around but the Ebay ad is right, equivalent 771 Xeons are often much cheaper, and many don't have a socket 775 equivalent - specifically the lower power/lower clocked chips which are still cheap for their performance.  A Xeon equivalent to the Q6600 which sells for around £30-35 would typically be around 1/3 less.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
I dont have any extra Xeons laying around to try this with myself, but it looks like masking some connections and removing the 2 key way tabs to socket 775 is the trick.

Was reading further into this and realized my statement was incorrect, its reversing 2 pins, so the special pin redirection mask is needed. Wanted to state this info in case anyone tries this on their own without the kit to redirect the pins.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »
Ah, I see.  Looks like the kit is needed then yes, shame there's nowhere selling it in the UK which makes it cost more than it's worth to me :(

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
Changed my mind and bought two for just over £11, decided I can probably find a use for them as a decent quad Xeon can be bought for £15 ish, and I have two spare lower end Xeon quads to test with too.  Worth a try!  I'll try it on my current spare 775 board (which I doubt will work) and on a system I just picked up today which I'm pretty confident this trick will work on, which would make it a really nice cheap setup.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »
They arrived today, I'm hoping to get some time to try this tomorrow or next weekend.  I'll update with results :)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »
Well, I just tried a Xeon in the Shuttle system I recently bought, and after a bit of fiddling, it's working fine!
The little adapter is quite hard to line up "just so" but it seems to stay on fine after that thanks to the adhesive.
Just for reference, the Shuttle was an SG33G5, the Xeon was an E5310 1.6GHz quad core as that's the best I had spare.
Not entirely sure if the adapters will be reusable due to the adhesive, it might not stick too well once removed, but I'll find out once I've got some more Xeons to play with!  I'm off hunting decent cheap 775 boards now...being able to buy nice cheap quad core Xeons makes a 775 system much more feasible if you already have some spare DDR2.  I have plenty of that, some spare PSUs and vid cards, spare high end coolers, so everything I need for some cheap quad cores to sit and crunch for me :)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
Well, I just tried a Xeon in the Shuttle system I recently bought, and after a bit of fiddling, it's working fine!

SWEET!!!!  I looked up my socket 775 boards and they are unfortunately too old to support this mod. But if I come across a board that can do it, I might perform this inexpensive xeon quadcore mod myself.

Thanks for sharing that it worked and specifics on the board you used.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
No problem :) what 775 boards do you have out of interest?
I have an Abit board I want to try next although I'm less confident this mod will work on that as it's an ATI chipset, seems Intel chipsets are the way to go for this.

Edit: also, looks like I'll be picking up some E5430s for some more systems, 2.66GHz so basically like a Q9450.  Seem to go for around £15 each, so good value.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:16:46 PM »
Here is my wifes socket 775 motherboard. It came with an E4300 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo and I upgraded it to a E6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4MB Cache. The E6xxx is the max supported for this board.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00864946

The other 2 socket 775 boards are:

FoxConn (*Only supports Pentium 4 and Pentium D ) Daughters system is running this board.

EliteGroup (*Only supports Pentium 4 ) This one is in storage and is half gutted for parts.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 03:45:16 AM »
Yeah, seems like it's the 945 chipset which doesn't support quads on any board, so you're limited to duals only.  COuld always throw in a dual core Xeon, but there aren't any your board would support which would be an upgrade from the E6600 - the only faster duals use a 1333MHz FSB, your board only goes to 1066MHz.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
Yeah, I dug the ECS Board out of storage to see what it had for chipset and its this one here with the even older 915 chipset. http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=503&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=24&LanID=0

Got this motherboard through www.geeks.com for like $15 + $5 shipping a few years ago and stuffed a Celeron D 2.53Ghz in it to use as a file server, but then retired it 6 months later because it was having issues which appeared to be main board stability issues after 2 different power supplies and a full DDR RAM swap. 

Todays further inspection of this board shows that they use low end parts and the cheap electrolytics and some had slightly raised tops vs flat, so it appeared to have the bad caps in it. If it was a board that had potential to run a better dual or quadcore CPU, I'd take the time to replace the swolen caps, but its a junk board that is too limited for my needs so I am going to drop it off in the electronic recycle after I remove the RAM, CPU, and Jumpers from it to hold on to as spare parts for older systems.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
ECS using low end parts?  How shocking! ;D