Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: whats going on?  (Read 2700 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
whats going on?
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
Greetings CH!!

as the years pass by we are faced with different and new problems. My buddy asked me if i could take a look at his laptop. The computer is a Acer laptop with a fresh load of win 7 home and it boots to the desktop rather slowly. once it finally gets there is gives me some sort of acer compatibility issue and within a few minutes about 2-5 it restarts. The first thing i decided to do was test his RAM. The computer has 6gb. so a 4gb stick with a 2gb stick. so i inserted the memtest cd and away it went. about 5 minutes in the test the screen went crazy with errors. ok. so i pulled the 4gb stick and ran the test. "all tests passed" then i did the 2gb stick and it passed too. i tried testing both the sticks on both the slots and separately they passed, together they didnt. Anyways now the laptop runs fine. but for how long? is there a way i can run diagnostics on its HDD? and what would the idle temps be for it? The laptop is a Acer Aspire 5552-7420

specs
AMD Phenom ll x2 N660
6gb ram
640gb hard drive
ati mobility radeon HD 4250

Please let me know!> 

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: whats going on?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:11:44 PM »
Hi

memory normally has gold contacts and memory sockets are not gold therefore over time the socket to memory contact tarnishes. So just removing and re inserting the memory a few times can fix a memory fault. If you can get an old typist eraser or the eraser from a pencil this is coarse enough on the memory modules contacts to polish them. There is nothing you can do with the socket except use a magnifying lens to check that there is no damage. Never use contact cleaner on the sockets as that is designed for contacts carrying a lot more current than a memory chip so a film is left between the socket and memory module which effects operation.

I would run Benchme from here http://www.benchbench.com/
to check the hard drive speed.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:08:35 AM »
Hi

memory normally has gold contacts and memory sockets are not gold therefore over time the socket to memory contact tarnishes. So just removing and re inserting the memory a few times can fix a memory fault. If you can get an old typist eraser or the eraser from a pencil this is coarse enough on the memory modules contacts to polish them. There is nothing you can do with the socket except use a magnifying lens to check that there is no damage. Never use contact cleaner on the sockets as that is designed for contacts carrying a lot more current than a memory chip so a film is left between the socket and memory module which effects operation.

I would run Benchme from here http://www.benchbench.com/
to check the hard drive speed.

Thanks for that info Lm, I did not know electrical contact cleaner would leave an electrically inhibiting film residue able to inhibit a low voltage circuit.

--------------------

comda,
I'm certainly no guru on computers, but I'm wandering if you have a compatibility issue between the 2 separate, 4gb and 2 gb, memory modules you are running. If you get time it may help to post the information of the 2 separate memory modules so we can rule out an in-compatibility issue.
 Just an idea?
Good luck!
mike

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
Yes...post the info from the label on all the sticks...
All memory is not alike.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "