Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing operating system on computer with no operating system installed  (Read 3482 times)

besame2anne

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Hi-I bought a used Dell Optiplex 780 with no o/s installed to replace my old Dell Dimension 3000.  I have a brand new copy of Windows 7 to install on it.  I've reinstalled xp on my old computer 2 or 3 times so I'm not completely new to this but, I thought I'd try to find out as much as possible before I begin.  Any advice will be appreciated.  I am wondering - when I connect the keyboard, mouse and monitor to the Optiplex with no o/s, will it recognize the components so that I can begin the installation of Windows 7?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Yes

besame2anne

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thank you very much!

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • My first self-built computer
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
       I was thinking that you may have a problem using a USB mouse or keyboard on a fresh OS install but the 780 was manufactured in 2010-2011 so you should not have a problem with this issue. I have very much confidence in Allan's guidance with all the help he's given to me, but I'm just thinking if you have an issue, and have a PS2 mouse - keyboard around, maybe you could try that before investing more. (the 780 has both PS2 ports available)
       (Certainly no distrust in Allans judgement here at all, this is just a memory of mine about your same issue that I had with an older PC a few years ago).
      Have fun, and good luck!
      Mike