Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista not loading any further than start up options  (Read 3239 times)

Binghamk

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows Vista not loading any further than start up options
    « on: January 13, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »
    Hi all,

I currently have a Sony Laptop (VGN-NS10E) and when it turn it on, it goes as far as the start up options where I can select normal, safe mode or safe mode with command prompt.  No matter which option I select, I get the windows logo with the waiting bar (as normal) then after around a minute, it then just stops and I am displayed with a black screen with a curser! I get nothing further. In the past, I have had to perform computer restore using the command promt option due to viruses, however even using command prompt it doesn't fully load to the bit where I can type.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

I have tried researching, and the mention of a restore disk is said, however stupidly I have not created one of these!

I would rather not wipe the whole thing if I can help it, as I have documents etc on my computer which are not yet backed up onto my USB stick,

Any help appreciated

Thank you

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows Vista not loading any further than start up options
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
    The fact that you have had viruses and now cannot boot would lead me to recommend you do what you said you don't want to do. Format, delete the existing partition(s) and start from scratch.