Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer lags on desktop bootup  (Read 10525 times)

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
computer lags on desktop bootup
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:45:54 PM »
Hi,

Problem: computer lags on desktop bootup. Windows loads fine, but it take about 2-3 minutes for the icons on my desktop to appear and then I start using my computer. I wonder how I can fix that desktop lag.

I have my icons arranged with Stardock Fence software, computer seems be doing something (I can see the activity light on the side of my computer always on during that time)

Avast says no viruses, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Emsisoft Antimalware finds nothing wrong.

I seem to think I need to adjust programs that load on bootup, not sure. Have windows 8.1

Any solution or suggestion? My PC specs are listed next to my username to the left.

Thank you

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer lags on desktop bootup
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:21:16 AM »
Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
Your Specs show Windows 8 as your OS.  Have you upgraded to Windows 8.1 yet?  If not, I suggest you do so.  That might result in some improvement. 

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »
Your Specs show Windows 8 as your OS.  Have you upgraded to Windows 8.1 yet?  If not, I suggest you do so.  That might result in some improvement. 

According to my original post, windows 8.1 has been installed already!

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »
Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

tried the msconfig as you mentioned, seems to help. Do you recommend Mike Lin's startup control panel or you think ccleaner's startup enable/disable part of the program decent enough? I'll monitor the status some more to be sure if the problem is gone or not.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
Startup CPL is my app of choice for getting startup apps reined in...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "