Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: accessing android on win98se  (Read 14005 times)

ghoststar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    accessing android on win98se
    « on: February 15, 2014, 06:26:28 PM »
    So I need to access my samsung galaxy tab 3 using my old etower 400i3 running win98se.
    the pc has usb 2.0 drivers and kernelEx
    I dont have it hooked up to the internet either.
    I want to be able to hook my tablet up to the pc via usb and access the files.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: accessing android on win98se
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »
    I think you would have better luck finding a linux distro that would run on this hardware that would have support for that before a tool for Windows 98SE would. If you want to do it with Windows, Windows XP would run on that Celeron 400Mhz if you have at least 128MB RAM. I'd suggest 256MB minimum. Windows XP can run on a CPU as slow as Pentium II 233Mhz and I have heard of people using Windows XP to interface with samsung galaxy.

Windows 98SE is a very grey area with USB device support, and if you can use a more modern OS which has tools and drivers that are based around .Net you would have better luck getting it to work.

The Celeron 400Mhz will crawl with Windows XP with adequate RAM, but it would run it. I had a Celeron 500Mhz being used as a file server for about a year running Windows XP with 256MB RAM, and it initially ran on 128MB RAM, but acted up with file sharing requests on 128MB RAM, with 256MB RAM it behaved until the socket 370 fan died and the Celeron cooked and died a blistering death. The thermocouple for monitoring the CPU must have been defective to allow for the melt down of the CPU.

ghoststar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »
      Oh, well I might go with installing linux or something similar.

The specifications of the pc are the following

400mhz intel celeron processor 128kb l2 cache
      32 mb syncdram 256mb max
      4.3gb hard drive
      3d 4mb agp graphics

Is there any linux distro that would work with this?

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
      A suggestion for that old system for Linux would be Fedora Core 4, ( BUT ) you will want to have 256MB RAM installed.

I ran Fedora Core 4 on a Celeron 500Mhz with 256MB RAM and 13GB IDE HDD before and it ran it quite well. However there was software that I needed to run that was Windows required and so I pulled the 13GB HDD out and installed a 20GB HDD into this small HP Pavilion and installed XP to it instead.

*Your going to want 256MB RAM and a larger hard drive ( 8.4GB or larger ) for a Linux install. If my memory is correct, Fedora Core 4 required like 5.3GB of HDD space for the install so 4.3GB will not be large enough. 4.3GB however with Windows XP SP0 with no updates would eat up about 2.5 to 3GB of 4.3GB and would be tight, and 384MB of the HDD would be allocated to swap with 256MB RAM present.

If you need to spend money to meet the requirements for such an install such as to get the 256MB RAM and/or HDD to 8.4GB or larger, I'd look into buying a better system instead vs sinking money into a computer this old.

As a start on this, I would work backwards.... first research an andriod interface application that is Linux based, and then look to see what the requirements are of this application with attention to what Kernel Version and/or distro is required to run it. Then check to see if you can find a older distro that meets these requirements that also matches to that of your older hardware specs... in which your still going to have to get the RAM and HDD specs to meet the distro requirements.

Windows XP would be the easiest method to interface with the android with 128MB or 256MB RAM if you had a legal copy of XP available. However if you dont have a legal copy of XP available then the money to get it would be best spent finding a Pentium 4 for like $80 with 512MB RAM or greater and a 40GB or karger HDD etc which comes with XP OS in the deal.

easeltine1

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 01:17:30 PM »
        I was thinking of suggesting a Linux Live CD distro:

"SliTaz GNU/Linux is supported on all machines based on the i486 or x86 Intel compatible processors. The Live CD has four variants of SliTaz, requiring from 192 MB of RAM for the Core system to 48 MB for a text mode and X Window System. Slitaz can even run in 16 megabytes of RAM and a little swap memory.
        SliTaz GNU/Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SliTaz_GNU/Linux"

You still need more RAM, and you don't want to buy some for a system like that.  You could try a dual boot Linux/Windows 98, and use about 256 MB swap space.