Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reprogram Lowrance GPS  (Read 4599 times)

gevetri

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Reprogram Lowrance GPS
    « on: February 17, 2014, 07:18:37 AM »
    Hello All,  I'm new to this forum.  I'm not sure if any of you computer gurus can help, but here is the quest.  I have an old Lowrance Airmap 100 GPS.  It's not supported any more and the Lowrance techs will not give me any answers on it's OS or anything else.  I want to reprogram it to be able to upload maps and take out the aviation stuff.  I have connected  to it and updated the firmware with my laptop.  Because I think it's just a small computer, can anyone help me hack into this creature to all least clear it's memory of the aviation stuff.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Reprogram Lowrance GPS
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
    Welcome to CH. Just wanted to give you a heads up that, not many have hacked GPS's here, or at lease since I started in 2006, its very infrequent that anyone requested info on a GPS, let alone hacking one is a first here that I know of.

GPS's are pretty much throw aways, especially these days, so when its no longer supported you can simply buy a new one for like $50 or get one already integrated into a modern phone. You would have better luck finding or making an app for a phone that has a GPS in it that can be interfaced.

Unfortunately the easiest way to hack this device would require using illegal tools that I can not state here and do not advise using at all. It would require decompiling the software that interfaces with the device to see how it communicates with the device and would require you to be proficient in the language that it was programmed in. Then recompile an alteration of this interface software which is extremely illegal.

The only legal way to interface with this device would be if someone wrote from scratch without decompilation of the original software, used in the process to make and open source tool to use that is not in violation of EULA and generally non competing. For this to happen you would pretty much need someone who was part of the original team of programmers on this project available to assist, because otherwise you can program all you want, but its like trying to pair up a key to a lock and the lock is unknown type and tooth combination.

If this was a device that boots with ability to serial term it without authentication required then alteration would probably require a reflash of it, but to do that you would need an altered custom ROM for it, but the likelyhood of such a ROM existing for it is very slim.

Best of luck with this, however I dont believe anyone here will have a solution for this device. Didnt want your post to sit at 0 replies thinking this is a dead forum, its very active, but your request is outside of the norm.

My suggestion would be to use a modern phone that has a GPS and of which apps can be programmed for it to interface with this more easily than that of a regular off the shelf GPS. Best of Luck and hope to see you back again sometime  :)

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
    Hi

There is so much information on that gps on the internet you should be able to get what you need. here is some links i found with a google search "Lowrance Airmap 100 GPS"

http://www.easygps.com/gps-receivers/Lowrance-AirMap-100.asp

http://www.lowrance.com/en-NZ/Software-Updates/

mypdfmanuals.com/user-manual,LOWRANCE,AIRMAP+100
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

gevetri

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
      Why is this request so sinister.  The manufacturer (Lowrance) does not even support the product anymore.  Numerous requests to Lowrance for the original software provided with the unit have been denied.  Can't believe a company like that would not archive that data.  I have a Thinkpad running Crunchbang, isn't that the same thing?  Have been looking for the original software, Lowrance IMS MapCreate Marine and Recreation CD ROM, to no avail, so far.  It's not so much as the price for a new one, it's that this unit only has 10 hours on it and works great.  Also the prices are way more than $50 for a product that will do what this one can.  I just want to upload maps to it.  It's now becoming a "quest".

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:53:49 AM »
      2 to 3 e-mails a day and a hand written letter once a week should do the trick...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gevetri

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
        Just 2 - 3 ?  I can do that!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »
        Awhile back i was able to get a WD HDD replaced when it failed less than a month out of warranty...i'm assuming they just got sick of me and gave in.

Being polite also is the proper approach.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "