Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: icons not responding  (Read 8685 times)

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    icons not responding
    « on: February 25, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »
    I did read three pages but found nothing much for my q so I'll ask it in a new post.

In Win 8-I just got the computer-HP Pavillion Slimline, 6 G ram, AMD quad core processor @ 1.5 GHz-the little icons at the bottom of the screen do nothing when I click on them(usually), nothing except open a small screen shot which then reverts back to the original icon.

I don't know if something is wrong or if it's meant to be that way and I just don't know how to use Win 8.  I've read and watched the vids on using Win 8 a few times but I was relieved to find nothing in the original box like a 200 page user manual.

But on the icons if I restart the machine then they work as a previous Windows version user would expect them to work.  They actually open the thing they refer to. 

And another thing of beauty happens when I restart. What I see is like Windows 7 or Vista with icons along the side that really work, an address bar at the top and the time and date showing at the bottom. After fooling around for a while looking for files or on the web the Win 7 screen is gone somewhere and it's back to icons that do nothing much. 

It looks like there are two choices of home screens, the Win 7 or the new, is that what they mean by Metro?  I've had touch screen devices for years and now I have an iPad which I'm learning to use and I love it but Win 8, I don't know. 

I've come across a dnload called Classic Shell but I'd rather learn Win 8 unless it's disfunctional. Things like Classic Shell sound like an invitation to more confusion.  Someone said once you learn 8 it it's pretty nice.

Oh and I did find how to change my homepage to Yahoo whick I'm used to but that too goes away and it's back to MSN homepage with no address bar or back button etc.  But again if I reboot then things are much better. And one more thing-I can't even use Yahoo mail when in that Metro mode because if the page isn't totally locked up it's so slow as to make it useless.  Yahoo mail is normal on my other internet devices/computers. I greatly appreciate any advice.  I have a lot of work to do but now I'm just reduced to watching movies or getting to YouTube in some round about way.  That don't pay the bills.