Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: After build steps  (Read 2577 times)

zagorna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    After build steps
    « on: March 02, 2014, 08:15:27 PM »

after I put together all my pc parts what I should do next?
    -bios? how to get there and which settings I put?
    - installing windows after bios set up?

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: After build steps
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
    There will be information on the post screen about how to access the BIOS.  For most builds the default setup is adequate, but if you have an add-on GPU then you might want to disable the integrated one. 
    Then install Windows and after that install your drivers, they came on a disk with the motherboard and GPU(only if you have an add-on card though).  Then you should install anti-virus software, I like Avast on Windows machines. 
    Once you have that done then you can run Windows Update.
    Evil is an exact science.

zagorna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:55:23 PM »
      thanks, with windows and software part I am familiar
      the bios I am worried about, dont know what settings to put, do I need to overclock? or with this hardware I may go happy without OC?, I got toegether the i7 4770k, asus z87 pro and gigabyte gtx 770

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
      The BIOS settings are generally fine as defaults.  Overclocking is an option but you really need to know what you are doing - If you have never done it before it's a good idea to see if you have a friend who has done it before and can help you through the process.  That said, the 4770k is more than powerful enough at stock speeds.

The key thing I do after installing an OS is to stress test everything to ensure the temperatures are safe.  To do this I use the following tools:
      • HWMonitor - I use this to check the temperatures of the CPU and GPU when running the tests below - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
      • Prime95 - I run a 'blend' test on this which puts 100% load on all CPU cores, this is the highest load the CPU will ever see so it will let you check that your temperatures are fine, even at the highest they will ever get - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
      • Unigine Valley Benchmark - I use this to stress the video card, turn the quality up to ultra and increase Anti Aliasing as high as you can while getting acceptable frame rates, then run this for a while to stress the GPU - http://unigine.com/products/valley/download/
      Do the tests above to check all the temperatures are fine which will ensure all fans and coolers are set up and working correctly.