Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home Brew Biolding Coming to End of the Road.  (Read 98204 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Home Brew Biolding Coming to End of the Road.
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:51:55 PM »
Over the years I have put together a number of Desktop computers. It has been fun, but now it is  getting to the point where twill stop.
No, I don't me just myself. It will stop for everybody except those millionaires that have a private engineering team.
This is due to the work of Intel and Microsoft. The standards they have set makes it very hard to manufacture a mass-produced motherboard. And future Software can not be free. It w ill always cost. Free software will not work on mass-produced motherboards.
Does anybody here understand what I mean?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Home Brew Biolding Coming to End of the Road.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
1. Why can't Free software work on mass-produced motherboards?
2. Why can't future software be free?
3. In what way does UEFI complicate the Motherboard manufacturing process to a degree that it requires a private engineering team?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Home Brew Biolding Coming to End of the Road.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
Does anybody here understand what I mean?
No I don't.

Building PCs at the lower end is slowing down purely due to the wide availability of premade systems and the move towards laptops for most users.  However, building at the higher end is still stronger than ever - If you want a high performance system nowadays there is really no option other than to build it yourself or have it custom made at great expense.  And even with that, I still find I get a lot of requests for home/office machines.

This is due to the work of Intel and Microsoft. The standards they have set makes it very hard to manufacture a mass-produced motherboard.
Since when?  And any examples of this?  When was the last time you looked at motherboards? For the latest Haswell chips, on Newegg I can find 257 different motherboards to pick from.

And future Software can not be free. It w ill always cost.   Free software will not work on mass-produced motherboards.
And where is the evidence for this?  I use Linux as my primary OS (that's free) and I run it on mass produced motherboards/systems.  Sure Windows isn't free, and I doubt it ever will be, but that doesn't mean other free OSs won't exist.