Microsoft > Windows XP

End of XP support tomorrow

(1/7) > >>

SuperDave:
Tomorrow, April 8/14 MicroSoft will stop their support of Windows XP. While I also have Windows 8 on my computer, I'm determined to stick with XP. I'm starting this thread to inform what I have done so far as regards to protection. I replaced MicroSoft Security Essentials with Avira since updates for MSE will also stop for XP only. If you're using MSE for Vista or Windows 7 you will still receive the updates. I've installed a full scanning version of Emisoft Anti-malware, a gift from a fellow malware expert. I intend to run MBAM and AdwClearer at least once a week. I will keep this thread updated as to what transpires. I seriously doubt that anything malicious will happen because even with the MS updates computers were still being infected by malware and it's been like that for almost a year. Stay tuned.

SuperDave:
An interesting thing last night (Wednesday) when I shut down my computer. I had four updates that were installed. I'm trying to find out what was installed with not much luck.

patio:
Same here...
I also checked the MSE logs...updates still coming in @ 4 AM each day.

camerongray:

--- Quote from: patio on April 10, 2014, 11:59:28 AM ---Same here...
I also checked the MSE logs...updates still coming in @ 4 AM each day.

--- End quote ---

MSE will continue to update (This is what people keep talking about when they say that "XP will still get security updates") but that is only virus definitions.  You won't however get any patches for the underlying OS.

patio:

--- Quote ---You won't however get any patches for the underlying OS.
--- End quote ---

I was kinda aware of that already...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version