Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: error on Linux Mint  (Read 10621 times)

a1148383

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    error on Linux Mint
    « on: April 09, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
    I looked around on Google but did not find an answer for this so I thought I'd try here.

Upon installing Linux Mint on my laptop computer, I saw this error message the first time I went to use Linux "Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors. Error on line 1 char 1: Document must begin with an element (e.g. <book>)".

The error did not seem to cause any issues at first, even though I would see that every time I booted the computer. However, one time my computer was on battery power and ran out of battery then shut off after the battery ran out. The next time I loaded Linux then I found I had a hard time getting the pop-up box to show so I could type my password and I sign in. The computer would hang and the password box would not pop up unless I pressed esc key several times. It does that every time if the computer shuts off after running out of battery or any time the computer is otherwise shut off without first selecting to shut it down from the menu like normal.

I just wonder why there would be an error on the installation and how I could get rid of that?

Also I have used  a previous version of Mint before but this one I installed is the latest version. It has a feature I don't like but I don't know what it's called and would like to take that feature off if I could. Sometimes when I'm on Firefox browser, the computer will switch the screen somehow if I move the mouse a certain way and then it will display like four different things on the screen at once instead of having the browser window I was viewing filling the entire screen. I continually have to hit escape key to get it to go back to the way it was. I wish I could turn off whatever feature is doing that. It is so annoying. Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: error on Linux Mint
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
    The good thing with linux is that when it gets corrupt, reinstallation is a breeze. However if you have data that you dont want to delete it can get tricky. I like to use my Linux systems with a seperate hard drive or seperate partition that is not part of the Linux partition build to store my data in and this way when I reinstall a Linux OS or upgrade to the next version, it stomps on top of the prior install, but my data is still safe in this 4th partition or on a different hard drive which is even safer as long as you pay attention to what drive the installation is going to.

I'd suggest reinstalling Mint after first backing up any important data first to USB thumb drive or external hard drive etc. Then just be more careful to make sure that the system is shut down properly and that if its on for long periods of time in which you might walk away, be sure to plug it into the wall power so that the battery will not run out on it and cause it to shutdown improperly.

As far as the feature you mention. If its the one that I think you are referring to, it has been a part of most Linux Desktops for many years and is among multiple distros where you can switch desktops where it shows 4 quadrants.

If its not this feature but another feature, maybe you just need to use a different flavor of Mint. It comes in a variety of flavors. I like Mint and am running Version 16, and have been using Mint since version 5 "Elyssa" KDE which I burned to DVD. Around version 13 I tried Cinnamon and liked that, however I have gone back to KDE, although 64-bit vs 32-bit that I was running prior.

I tried Ubuntu and Fedora through the years, but the last Ubuntu that I liked was 9.04 and for Fedora I tried version 20 recently and didnt like it making the jump from Fedora 17 to 20. In the end I always find my way back to Mint  ;D

What make/model laptop do you have and how much memory etc?

a1148383

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »
      I had used Mint 13 Cinnamon before and liked it until it had some issue with the browser and I was unable to get the browser to re-install like it had been before so I reformatted the partition and installed the latest Mint which I think was called Petra. the whole hard disk has 30gb and the partition where mint is stored has about 20gb I think.

Cinnamon did not have this annoying feature but it seems it is default on Petra because I did not customize it in any way other than installing Firefox browser. I'd love to shut it off if I could. Thanks :)

I think the error must be something to do with the software because I had Cinnamon installed in the past and never had an error message with it but Petra had the error ever since installation so I assumed it was something to do with Mint Petra. It is installed on a Compaq laptop which originally had Windows Vista.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
      I had used Mint 13 Cinnamon before and liked it until it had some issue with the browser and I was unable to get the browser to re-install like it had been before so I reformatted the partition and installed the latest Mint which I think was called Petra.

You could always go back to Mint 13 which is LTS ( Long Term Support ) till April 2017.

The problem you had was probably some sort of corruption, and reinstallation of 13 would have probably fixed it. I have had to do this myself in the past with problems that were similar such as a Dell ( Pentium 4 era  Celeron 2.4Ghz ) laptop with 640MB RAM and 20GB HDD I had that had intel integrated graphics driver issues all of a sudden with Mint 9 and a reinstall solved it.

a1148383

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »
        so there is no way to shut off the feature that causes the screen to jump to displaying four windows like that?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
        When I get off of work tonight I will play around with my Mint 16 system to see if I can find what it is that you are seeing. Which version of 16 are you using of the 14 possible ISO downloads? I might be running a totally different build of 16 than you maybe.

http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=21

I'm running Mint 16 64-bit KDE btw  :)

Also what are the steps that lead to this problem you are having which you should be able to recreate and explain exactly so I can follow the same steps at my end and hopefully see similar results. If your not running Mint 16 KDE, I can download the ISO your using and push it to a spare computer I have to see what you are seeing.

a1148383

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 03:57:04 PM »
          I don't know how to find exactly which version  it is. After I burned the ISO file to a disc for installation, I deleted the file. I remember it said it was Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon 32-bit but don't recall an exact build number from the ISO file name. Now I can't remember which link I downloaded from either.

If the mouse hovers near the top left corner of the screen, then the screen will sometimes jump to this alternate view with the word "Workspace" at the bottom and be divided into multiple windows. My bf is older, has never owned a computer and is hardly very good at using them or understanding them. He uses mine when he comes over, to view his favorite news sites and such but finds that frustrating when the screen toggles to the alternate view and he doesn't recall how to restore it so that is why I would prefer to remove that feature so he won't have to keep getting frutrated. It seems he is always getting the alternate view popping up when he goes to click backspace button on Firefox browser because the button is, of course, in the upper left corner.

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »
          Thanks for sharing this info... I will load up Mint 16 Cinnamon 32-bit on a spare computer and check into this tonight  :)

a1148383

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 03:07:30 AM »
            thank you :)

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 06:45:58 PM »
            Ok, so I now see what you are seeing. Going to dig further into this and get back to you. Alternate workspaces is what this feature is.  :)

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
            Here is a solution.

Go to system settings --> hot corners

Click drop down for top left corner which is green colored, and after disabled it will be pink.

Then your solved.  ;D

a1148383

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »
              thank you! I will try that :)

a1148383

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 12:15:35 AM »
                Thanks again! that seems to have fixed the issue :)

DaveLembke

Sage
                « Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »
                SWEET   8)   And no problem! Learned something new myself with that one  ;D