Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: It says I have no NIC/Network Adapter  (Read 5508 times)

Jay Smith

It says I have no NIC/Network Adapter
« on: July 21, 2004, 06:56:43 PM »
It says I have no NIC/Network Adapter.  Obviously I don't know much about computers so any help would be great.  It looks like there is one back there.  Do I need to get a new adapter or what?

PCgeek8080

Re: It says I have no NIC/Network Adapter
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 07:09:38 PM »
do u have a card for 10/100 baseT?

Jay Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:13:46 PM »
When I looked to see what kind of card I had it just told me I didn't have one.  

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 04:02:43 AM »
I assume you have installed a NIC/Network adapter?

Rudy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 06:47:45 PM »
I am having a similar problem.  I have no idea what is going on.  My computer isn't recognizing that i have a network card AND a wireless card.  I've tried doing everything: taking it out and rebooting to let the computer recognize it, I tried installing the most recent drivers like 50 times, i looked for drivers on all my disks the computer came with.  I am a bit confused because at the beginning of August, my computer's video card was on the fritz.  I tried putting in drivers and unistalling/reinstalling, and somewhere in the process the computer told me that i lost a vital windows file.  I ran the system restore thingy, and I went through the "windows" installation screens, ect.  When i was through, the video card was fixed but i lost my network card and the wireless one.  Heh im posting from my old computer  ;).  But anyway some specs on my comp is:

network card: Realtek RTL8139 Family Fast Ethernet Nic
Wireless card: D-Link DWLG520 wireless card
Video Card: ATI RADEON 9200
Mobo: No Idea :-/
Processer: AMD Athalon XP 2.09 ghz (or whatever)
I have a partitioned hard drive, but i dont think that makes a difference ;)

Any help is welcome, the computer identifies the problem as "missing drivers" but i tried everything.  I had to reformat once, but it was working fine after that.

I know i will not need new cards, because they were working fine untill i went through that windows restore thing.  I would just restore my computer to when the cards were working but restoring the computer wiped out my restore points.

Once again, I'm open to all ideas.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 11:00:31 AM »
Have you contacted Technical support of the company that fabricated your Network cards?

I suggest you search through your manual to see if your motherboard is capable of having these cards installed.

Also check the BIOS to see if you have overlooked any important settings that may need to be reconfigured.

Rudy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 01:12:49 PM »
Yeah... i called those places and they said that i needed drivers.  When i tried to install them step by step with the technician, it still didn't work.  Then they suggested to try other people.

I'm begging to think no one wants to take the responsibilty/time.

Im calling the computer manufacturer now.  I'll see what they have to say.

MalikTous

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 03:01:35 PM »
I would open the System applet (right click on My Computer and select Properties, then Hardware and the Device manager button) and look for two entries for Network Interface under 'Other Devices' and open those. You select 'Update Driver' for them. Try the 'automatic' search for drivers first, and use any install program download or disk if that fails. If you used System Recovery, they should still be on the disk, just your registry entries for the devices are gone.

Er... why are you using both a wireless and a wired NIC?

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 04:09:42 PM »
this sounds crazy but remove them in the device manager and take them out of your pc <caution is needed if you know how to like earth yourself by touching the case and have a tissue or glove to remove them if unsure about this process leave it alone as it maybe still under warrenty> and re-boot now shut down..replace one card nic and reboot pc ..then the same again for your wifi card...windows will find both of them a new irq...type msinfo32 in the run box it will tell you more on what your pc has got?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 04:10:48 PM by merlin_2 »

Rudy

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 06:16:28 PM »
Um Hmm The wireless card is since my computer is across the room from the internet connection.
The NIC card is for lan parties ;D.

But i decided after calling compusa to reformat.

I have my hd partitioned so it should be okay.

a few cuts and pastes and im good to go.
Thx for the help and the ideas.

-Rudy