Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visual Studio 2008 Express ?  (Read 5774 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Visual Studio 2008 Express ?
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
Friend of mine asked me if I happened to have a copy of Visual Studio 2008 Express as for he wanted to dig into his Microsoft "Build a Program NOW! Visual C# 2008 Express Edition" book that he lost the Disc that came with it as seen here: http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/companion/9780735625426/

I dug through my software disc binders and all I can find is Visual Studio 2010 Express that I burned to disc back in 2012.

While C# in 2008 format should work with 2010, I can see it being confusing for him when the book is a learn by example and there are differences between 2008 and 2010.

Anyone know of a location online to get Visual Studio 2008 Express or just the C# 2008 Express?

I told him that he may have to upgrade to a newer book with a newer Disc and not lose this disc hopefully, but told him that I'd look around for him and decided to post here in case anyone knows of a good download location for the ISO etc for the Free 2008 Express edition of Visual Studio.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Visual Studio 2008 Express ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:48 PM »
Thee are many tutorials on the Internet for Visual Studio.
Instead of a book, he may like a video tutorial.
Here is just one for the 2010 version:
http://www.lynda.com/Visual-Studio-tutorials/Visual-Studio-2013-Web-Developers/157134-2.html

Of course,  that is not the version you want. But  look here:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Unleashed
Book Description
Microsoft® Visual Studio 2008 Unleashed is an end-to-end, deep dive into the Visual Studio development environment. It’s meant to provide you guidance on how you can squeeze the ultimate productivity out of the many features built into the .NET development tools. Understanding how to use your tools will make you a better developer. This book was written with that premise as its focus.
The authors have folded in real-world development experience alongside detailed information about the IDE. The result is practical, easy-to-employ information that will make you a more productive and complete developer. This book also helps to ease your transition from other development environments and former versions of Visual Studio.
Finally, this book provides an entire section dedicated to Visual Studio Team System. It will help you understand how the Team Architect, Team Developer, Team Database Developer, and Team Tester work with the Team Foundation Server to increase team collaboration, visibility, and productivity.
Microsoft® Visual Studio 2008 Unleashed provides straight, to-the-point answers to common developer questions about the IDE.
The Visual Studio package is among the best lo-cost  tools to learn hands-on programming skills. The express version is free.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Express
Visual Studio 2010 Express was released in April 2010, alongside Visual Studio 2010. Free registration is mandatory to use this product beyond 30 days.[5] With Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 Express, registration was not required for the ISO version. But now even VS-Express-2008 needs registration beyond 30-day period.
So, he will have top register, even the older version. May as well download a newer version. If you want. Still, the early version is perfect for a learning tool.
Hope it works for him.  ;)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »
Thanks for reply Geek  :)

Going to share the info you provided with him. I told him initially that he'd be best learning the modern version of it and there are tons of youtube videos etc, and websites. He is in his mid-50s and claims that he still enjoys having it in a physical book, but maybe hearing it from the 2 of us that there is so much online free to learn from, he will give it a try vs buying a new book with disc in the back of it.

He comes from a background as a hobbyist programmer of which he use to program in Fortran, Cobol, and Basic in the 70s and 80s. Since then he played with QBasic and C. He wants to learn how to make Windows Applications and like 5 years ago I directed him to the Microsoft C# 2008 book which I also have a copy of, but my disc is also long gone to my book, and I think it might be in a disc binder at a prior employer  ::)

I enjoy C# because of its similarities to C++ and felt that given his background working with C, that he should adapt well to C# even though a smoother transition may have been C to C++ then to C#. However learning by example he can probably figure it out pretty quickly since he has familiarity with object oriented programming. He will also be introduced to .Net through this as well which he hadn't worked with prior.

Just decided to look at Visual Studio Express 2013 system requirements since he is running a Pentium 4 (1.7Ghz) with 1GB RAM running XP Home SP3 and it requires Windows 7 or newer OS:

Supported Operating System
Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2

Hardware Requirements:
•1.6 GHz or faster processor
•1 GB of RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)
•5 GB of available hard disk space
•5400 RPM hard drive
•DirectX 9-capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution

Looking at Visual Studio Express 2010, it looks like his system barely meets requirements of:

System Requirements

Supported Architectures
•x86
•x64 (WOW)

Supported Operating Systems
•Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3 - all editions except Starter Edition
•Windows Vista (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2 - all editions except Starter Edition
•Windows 7 (x86 and x64)
•Windows Server 2003 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2 - all editions
•Users must install MSXML6 if it is not already present.
•Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86 and x64) - all editions
•Windows Server 2008 (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 - all editions
•Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) - all editions

Hardware Requirements
•1.6 GHz or faster processor
•1024 MB RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)
•3 GB of available hard-disk space
•5400 RPM hard-disk drive
•DirectX 9-capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution
•DVD-ROM drive

In order to run Visual Studio Express 2013, he would need a newer computer I will have to inform him. I dont think he will want to hear that ... LOL  ::)

At least I have Visual Studio Express 2010 on a Disc to share with him so he can use the 2010 version with his old computer ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:42 PM »
He can run the 2010 version even on a older laptop. Well, not real old.
If he has a Kindle or Android tablet, he can  get free eBooks that are close to printed books. I am 76 and I take my Android to the bathroom with me. And almost anything in PDF can be loaded to a tablet. With printed books costing $25 each, by the time you buy six book you could have a tablet the holds hundreds of books, many free. Many about technology and computers.

Free eBooks from Microsoft.
Huge collection of Free Microsoft eBooks for you, including: Office, Office 365, SharePoint, SQL Server, System Center, Visual Studio, Web Development, Windows, Windows Azure, and Windows Server

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »
Thanks Geek .... I will also share that with him. Also T.M.I on bringing Android into bathroom  ;D LOL   Although I think all of us have done similar from time to time  :-X

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »
Visual C# 2008 Express Edition

Can't seem to find a link that goes to a description page rather than straight to the download.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.