Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to Intall Second Graphics Thing in Desktop PC.  (Read 4611 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How to Intall Second Graphics Thing in Desktop PC.
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Note to moderator. This is a free-form homologue with almost no structure.
Edit it or trash it as you see fit.

This is a general discussion about how to install a new video card into a desktop computer that already has been using a built-in VGA display.

When you get a new video card. The first thing you should do is to read the instructions. Of course, I don't do that. I just love out-of-the-box jamming it  in the computer and turn it on and expect it to work. Now most of the time that works for me, so why shouldn't it work for you? Well, to tell the truth, it doesn't always work for me. And it won't always work for you either. So pay attention.

When you install a new piece of hardware into a Windows desktop. There are two general approaches you can take. Well, more like three.

Number one. Just remove the power cord openly covered stick the thing into the right slot ,  making sure it's properly seated in the socket, and then turn the  PC back on and see if it works okay. Everything looks okay, just put the cover back on, then. Now you're happy.

Number two.  You carefully read the instructions that come with the computer and with your new graphics card. Somewhere they tell you that there is a potential conflict between the built-in graphics card and the new graphics card. Ideally, that shouldn't happen. But with the wide variety of motherboards and graphics cards out there, conflicts do arise unless you pay attention.

Sometimes the information is only found when you stick in the CD that came with the graphics card. You have to read that information. First, before you stick the new graphics card and the computer. Not to make things confusing, in some cases, you will be told to start up the CD only after you have the card already installed. But that method doesn't always work.
When the CD software comes up, it will check and see if the card is already installed, if it's not on our already installed, it will tell you what the proper procedure is.
Number three. Now here's the procedure that can cause confusion. You are told to set up your computer to use the built-in video graphics display. So you do that. According to the manufacturer's instructions. You're supposed to use the driver that comes with the motherboard or that is already on your computer. If it was done at the factory. Okay, so far so good.

Here you take a brief pause.
It seems like it should not be so difficult for it should be obvious what you are supposed to do. But it's not. Unless you've dome it before, in which case it will be obvious because you already did it before . But not if you have never done it  It seems rather convoluted.
Here is what they tell you. I mean, the maker of the new graphics card  will tell you this. You removed the graphics driver that is already in your computer. No, wait, no reading remove it, just disable it. You have to go into the Windows hardware device manager and figure out some way to disable the graphics card without actually stopping you from working. What that means is you force it back into a very generic form of VGA. That seems rather strange, but for some installations that is a requirement.
Now you got the built-in video card working in a very generic VGA mode, and not using the driver that the OEM manufacture said  to use, you can proceed. What you do next is to turn off the computer and stick in that  new video card in the proper place. Power on. Wait for it. At this point, Windows will realize that there are two video cards in the system and will make some kind of choice as to what to do about. The trick here is that Windows has the opportunity to set up both video cards in some kind of a configuration where they could not conflict with each other.

Now you can start up the CD that came with the new graphics card and go through the steps that tells you to do. The software will initialize the card and tell you to reboot the system. So you do that and it works. Somewhere along the line Windows well pickup the driver for the built-in video and see to it that it gets installed in the proper place.
Is that really sound weird? Surprise, that is, in essence, what they tell you to do on some super-duper graphics cards that are out there.
Yet you think it would be easier if I were to give you a bunch of links to confirm all of the illogical things that I've described above? No, it won't help. Because each one will say something different or set in a different way and you'll be absolutely confused unless you are so smart that you already know about it. But if you wish, you could search through your favorite thing  for something like this: "How to install second video graphics card,."

On some computers , you may have the option of disabling the on board video device in the BIOS. That is one way to ensure the built-in  video will not conflict with the new graphics card.

Wasn't that easy?

Any comments?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How to Intall Second Graphics Thing in Desktop PC.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Most systems provided with Integrated Graphics provide BIOS options for determining which one to use. It is usually listed as "Init display First" and allows selection from AGP, PCI, Integrated, etc.

Older systems sometimes required a Jumper to be toggled to disable the Integrated Graphics Card.

I've yet to encounter a case where the Integrated Adapter's drivers need to be uninstalled or disabled.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
I've yet to encounter a case where the Integrated Adapter's drivers need to be uninstalled or disabled.
I believe you.  :)
A system with onboard graphics must be configured correctly prior to installation of the new graphics card to avoid conflicts between the two cards. To configure one’s system on must change the video settings in the system BIOS and the onboard graphics must be disabled in Windows Device Manager. If one is not comfortable changing BIOS settings,
..found on eBay.   :o

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »
I believe you.  :)..
found on eBay.   :o
eBay is not a good source of reliable information, particularly when you decide not to actually source it with a link. For reference the quote comes from the eBay "buying guide" for Graphics Adapters, found here. Under the heading "Installing a Discrete Graphics Card in a System with Onboard Graphics".

For consideration, if I was to simply write a blog post that directly contradicts that (or basically says what I said previously) that would not in and of itself serve as an appropriate citation. Finding the truth of something is not a case of randomly selecting a short write-up found on a general eCommerce site- you would be best to find additional citations that support the same arguments, or, of course, original research.

The Step to disable the Graphics Card in Device manager as well as the game of magical chairs that you prescribe playing with the Graphics card is superflous and unnecessary in my experience, with the possible exception of a few low-end, older machines.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »
The Step to disable the Graphics Card in Device manager as well as the game of magical chairs that you prescribe playing with the Graphics card is superflous and unnecessary in my experience, with the possible exception of a few low-end, older machines.

There are people still using low-end machines.
I for one. Not sure who are the other two are.

Also, what I describe is part of the older published documentation of  graphics card makers. My point was the the information is confusing. How can the average  user know if the source material is up-to-date on an echo of the past?

In summary, read the documentation that comes with the new card.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »
There are people still using low-end machines.
Unlikely. Few Low-end machines from the late 90's would still be intact today- We're talking bottom of the barrel eMachines pretty much.

Also, what I describe is part of the older published documentation of  graphics card makers.
The quotation is from eBay. If it is in the "older published documentation of graphics card makers" than you should be sourcing your citation by providing a link.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 02:52:07 AM »
I've also yet to find a system that won't automatically disable the integrated graphics when a card is fitted.

The key thing people need to remember when adding graphics cards to premade machines is that their power supply is often too weak to accommodate it. Some cards like the GeForce 750(ti) are happy on a low wattage PSU (above 250w) but when you start looking at higher performance cards you will very likely need a higher wattage unit than the system shipped with.