Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with print spooler service  (Read 7391 times)

Redsirfan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Problems with print spooler service
    « on: April 26, 2014, 03:17:18 AM »
    Hi,
    So when I try to install a printer driver to my notebook, I had this problem where it said that:
    "Processing cannot be continued because the print spooler service has been stopped. Restart the computer to start the print spooler service and then start again."
    I've tried to solve this by starting it through "services.msc" but when i click 'start' in the print spooler properties, this message pop up:
    "Windows could not start the print spooler service on local computer.
    Error 193: 0xc1"
    Can you help me?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problems with print spooler service
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
    Sounds like the system is corrupt. Is there a history of problems leading up to this such as you had an infection and cleaned it out and this happened etc?

from command prompt you should be able to start and stop the spooler as an admin of your computer with

NET START SPOOLER

and

NET STOP SPOOLER

If you cant do this then Windows Spooler Service is corrupt and I'd suggest either restoring the system to an earlier point when the problem didnt exist or perform a repair or clean install of the OS to the computer.

One last effort before doing that would be to uninstall the printer driver and reinstall clean, although this driver reinstall probably wont fix this.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problems with print spooler service
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »
     0xc1 is ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT, which means that either the printer driver or another component accessed by the Print Spooler Service is mostly likely a 32-bit driver, whereas your system is 64-bit (or vice versa).

One possible remedy is to start an elevated command prompt (Start, type "cmd" in the search and right-click cmd.exe and choose "Run as Administrator"), and type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) which may be able to restore the files that have been corrupted.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.