Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why are my fonts smudgy?  (Read 3352 times)

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Why are my fonts smudgy?
    « on: May 17, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »
    See attachment.

It started a few days ago and has gotten worse today. It seems to be monitor specific because I have dual monitor setup and there are no problems with the other one.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Why are my fonts smudgy?
      « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
      OK i did an experiment switching the monitors and there is no problem. Then I switch them back and the problem is back.

Also the problem is not browser specific. It is an  across the board problem. ie even the fonts in the taskbar are smudged.

The monitor is brand new and the drivers are the latest.

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
        I just looked at the image I submitted and the problem cannot be seen in a screen cap.

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
        I had an issue years ago with a LCD with blurred columns that affect text. Does the blury/smudgy text all blur vertically in line and repeat later on the screen with another column of blur/smudge. You may have multiples of these blurry columns.

The fix was to change the refresh rate in the video properties from the default of 60hz to 75hz even though its a LCD and not a CRT, this corrected it on that HP DC5000 computer. It seemed to be a refresh issue where there was an odd analog harmonic at 60hz refresh and 75hz setting made it go away.

Also some LCD's have Video Noise ( Phase and Clock ) adjustments when you press MENU and navigate to adjusting the settings and these can be used to sharpen and get rid of blur/smudge as well.

Also... as per ...
        OK i did an experiment switching the monitors and there is no problem. Then I switch them back and the problem is back.

Question I have is... can these remain switched to solve this or? For the fact that you have one that seems to be degrading it may be getting ready to fail for good, but if you swapped the displays and its better, I;d remain swapped if same size displays.

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »
          It's back to working for now. Yes I tried the refresh rate and it worked for a while.  After playing around with the resolution I think the problem is related to the fact that I have the monitors to automatically shut off after a couple of hours (not sleep). I will experiment and get back in a day or two to see if this is the culprit

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »
            I spoke too soon. I took a picture of the issue, in case it's not clear to others.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »
            Are you connecting the problem monitor with a VGA Connector?
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »
              Are you connecting the problem monitor with a VGA Connector?

I'm connecting with the same connector ive been using for the past 5 years. The monitor is about 8 months old.

Above I said that I switched the monitors and the problem seemed to be solved. I just switched them around and the problem is reproduced on the other monitor.

So now I suppose it's either the cord of the adapter. The adapter is a 3 row 15-pin one. I'll look around to see if I have any cords to test it out.