Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't connect my desktop to the internet  (Read 2949 times)

ringerout

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Can't connect my desktop to the internet
    « on: May 27, 2014, 12:58:58 AM »
    Two months have passed in between sessions where I used my home desktop computer (March to May). After returning from college, I found out that my family changed the router and ever since I haven't been able to access the internet through my desktop. My laptop that I carry on me at all times is still fine. I've tried all sorts of methods with my desktop:
    • Cycling my router/modem, powering it on off
    • Resetting my desktop's IP settings through command prompt
    • Activating system restore to points prior before I left in March, albeit the system restores failed
    • I can't seem to activate system restore in Safe Mode, however
    • Going into Ctrl Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Checking on and off the Auto Detect Settings

Although I'd like to think it's a trivial technical issue because it shows I have limited connectivity, it's also possible that my desktop may be infected with malware. I'm not above admitting that a lot of the usage that my desktop sees is dedicated towards a not-so-safe-for-work kind of matter (lol). Due to the number of explicit files I have located on my desktop and my reluctance to transport ALL of it onto external hard drives (it's a lot), I see resetting it to factory settings as a last resort.

jormeno

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Can't connect my desktop to the internet
      « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »
      Hello,

I have seen this issue before, and have experienced this myself. Open up cmd prompt with elevated privileges. please try ipconfig /flushdns and reboot your machine and let me know how that goes.
      You won't know unless you try.